Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 22 conversion for a pistol I own and the slide is just a tad thicker than stock slide. Unfortunately, the fit in my kydex holster it is just too tight. I tried adjusting the screw tension etc., no luck. So I went out an bought one of those Uncle Mike’s cheapo kydex rigs. I have grandiose plans of taking a heat gun to it to reshape it a bit. Will this work or am I just gonna kill brain cells breathing melted plastic?

Anyone have any tips?
Thanks,
~lurker

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lurker on 2001-07-22 20:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hey lurker:
If you happen to have a Marvel 22 conversion, you might just find that it fits well in the Uncle Mike's kydex holster as is, with the retaining screws simply backed off. Just a touch of blue loc-tite on them and you're good to go. HTH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an old Bladetech belt holster for a Glock 22. The BT holster seems to be thicker than the ones they are producing today. The coversion is by Advantage Arms and the slide is 1/16" thicker than the stock G22 slide. I don't want screw up the BT holster for the conversion and then have the original rattle around. I bought the uncle mike's so I could screw that one up :grin:
Any suggestions for tweaking this thing?
Thanks,
~lurker

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lurker on 2001-07-23 20:24 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lurker on 2001-07-23 20:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lurker,

If you accept the possibility (as you seem to!) that you might ruin the holster, here's what you can do:

Get a heat gun (mine's set at 1000 degrees) and make a shield-foil over wood will work if you're careful. (Of course, almost anything works if you're careful...)

Using the shield to keep the heat of the parts of the holster you don't want to change, play the heat gun over the surface of the holster that covers the TOP of the slide-I know, the impulse is to hit the side to 'stretch' it, but think of the holster opening as a hinge- it has to open at the top.

Heat a little, until the kydex softens but doesn't melt. Gently slide the gun in. Check that the sight track will still work, since that's where you're 'borrowing' the extra room, most likely. When it fits, run it under cold water, dry it out and make sure it still fits. Minor adjustments are easy, so long as you use the shield to protect the areas that already fit.

If you get in a bind, fell free to e-mail me.

Larry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lurker,

The BT holster you describe sounds like the holsters we manufactured for BT under contract. These holsters were made from a material called Consealex. This material has a high shrinkage rate and heating it as described above may actually cause the holster to shrink at the heated area. You will then have a holster that is narrower than when you started. In any case, do not heat the plastic above 400 degrees and do not place the hot platic in cold water. Let the plastic cool at room temperature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.