Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had a couple 1911s, a Browning Hi-Power, and three shotguns built by Robar. Sometimes I've had guns come back with some minor problem but Robbie always made it right.

I think NP3 is THE BEST FINISH available in the market. Easy to clean too. I just love it!

NP3 was originally developed as a coating for parts in helicopter gear boxes. It is self lubricating and can run without oil. NASA actually has Robar apply the finish for parts used in the SPACE SHUTTLE. (No, not the rubber O-rings!)
The quality control specs for this is extremely high.
The benefit to the gun owner is that all the parts are run through the tanks to the same specs. The tank doesn't know whether a part is for the Space Shuttle or for your gun. They all get the same treatment.

I wish I could afford to have every gun I own finished with NP3.
How's that for a recommendation?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a 1911 done in NP3. The finish was okay, looked quite a bit yellower than any of the photos I had seen. Too slippery for a gun without a checkered frontstrap. It was very expensive, and they did jack for prep on the metal besides take off the parkerizing. I wouldn't do it again, but that's just me. I really prefer a good hardchrome job to NP3. I also think Robar is overpriced for most of what they do. Except for their proprietary finishes like NP3 and Roguard, just about anything they do can be done better and cheaper by someone else. Just my .02.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a S&W 9mm done in 1999. NP3 frame and internals, Rogard slide. It took longer than they said it would. The Rogard started chipping off of the breechface area inside of 50 rounds. Sent photos off to Rogard, they said it was "their bad," fixed it pretty quickly. No more problems after that, and I put quite a few rounds through it with NO chipping in the area. Looks good. The NP3 was wearing, I thought, and I saw a Rogard guy at a seminar and showed it to him. He said it was just polishing it, not wearing off, but offered to fix it to MY satisfaction free of charge. It wasn't worth messing with, but how can you beat customer service like that? If I had it to do over again, I would Rogard the entire outside and NP3 the internals only, that stuff is like a trigger job and, as mentioned above, speeds clean up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.