Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently taken up rock climbing. So far, I've been doing indoor walls.
I plan on getting my own rock climbing shoes (so I don't have to use the sweaty old rental shoes) and a harness.
Any suggestions as to what brand of shoes/harness I should get, and any place online that sells them at decent prices?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Best suggestion is try everything. Pulling plastic is different than real rock. Most like a soft shoe/slipper for plastic (indoor climbing)

Shoe size (for many/most) serious climbers depends on how your foot is built and how much pain you can deal with. I normally wore a Boreal 9 1/2 for my size 11.5 foot.

My shoes of preference are Sportiva and Boreal because they fit my feet. You'll have many pair if you get into climbing like shooting. Just coinsider them "holsters", you have different pairs for different needs.

Climb awhile in those ucky shoes, find the ones that fit you best and don't worry too much, just buy a pair you like and see where the sport leads you. Harnesses are similar.

Believe it or not I was playing with the first pair of Sportiva "ICE" model boots in Washington State a few minutes ago and was thinking..."My GAWD what I could have done with these 25 years ago!" Things have changed in "Kansas" after I left and grown old and if you have to rely on a has been dinosaur's opinion for a kids sport you are hurting;) Go find the local teenagers pulling rad 13s and watch, learn, emulate and then DO!

You'll know more about it in a few weeks. Enough to ignore this post :grin:

Buy local and get to know the guys you'll be hanging with. Buy cheap when you decide you know what you need down the road.

For the price of JUST ONE BCP I could still do a damn nice climbing trip to anywhere in the world for a MONTH!

Lot to be said for that :grin:

Sorry, my age and responsibilities are showing tonight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dane as always.

I never thought I would get into climbing, since I've had acrophobia for quite a while (still do actually).
I was at an amusement park this summer, and they had this wall, which I decided to try. It was only about 20 feet or so, but anyhow, I enjoyed it enough to pursue it futher. Since I still have a fear of natural heights, I'll stick with indoor climbing for now. If I can get over this stupid phobia, I may try the great outdoors one day :smile:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Dude, the day you stop being afraid of heights...stop climbing.

Like poison, it only takes one tiny drop to kill you, good thing to remember.

Climbing is a great sport, enjoy it. I only know of one other that compares.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-11-11 01:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hey, Ken:
Yeah, just stay with it, and, most importantly, have FUN!! Don't get intimidated by about what others around you are capable of. Remember, that you're already ahead of the mainstream, even at this point. When you get a chance, take some of your new climbing buds and go play outside, as God intended. I think you'll find it a much different, and more exhilerating experience.

I agree with Dane, shop around at your indoor pro-shop, and try everything! I, too, like Boreal and Sportiva shoes (only harder compound, for outdoor work), and still use a Black Diamond Mentor harness (inexpensive, and padded, for us older folk :wink: ).

If you ever get out this way, let me know. Yosemite is only an hour or so away, and perhaps I can get a little climbing trip put together. Take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.