Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three days shy of eight months after RRA confirmed my order I took delivery of my new Basic Limited Match. I ordered the pistol with a strong side only tactical safety, blued finish, and the 1 ½” accuracy guarantee. The pistol came nicely packaged in foam lined, lockable carrying case. Included in the package was an attractive RRA cap, a plastic bushing wrench (more on this later), a 5/32” Allen wrench for the two- piece guide rod, disassembly instructions, and a trigger lock.

First impression, the gun is absolutely GEORGEOUS! The flats are FLAT and polished, the rounded surfaces bead blasted, and the bluing superb. The checkering on the front strap and mainspring housing is crisp and sharp with no imperfections noted and the stocks contrast nicely with the deep blue. To say the gun is tight would be an understatement. There is no play between slide and frame, vertical or horizontal. The slide cycles smoothly but because the gun is so tight, it won’t go all the way into battery without a gentle nudge on the back of the slide. The gun came with only one magazine. It appears to be a Metalform and is blued steel, a surprise in this day of stainless magazines. I couldn’t wait to get it to the firing line.

American Shooting Centers in Houston, Texas made the transfer for me so, since I am a member there, I just walked immediately to the firing line to see what this new “toy” would do. Following Chuck Larson’s recommendation, I oiled the rails, the barrel/bushing area, and added a drop or two to the barrel hood. I know lubricants are a very emotional topic for some, but I stayed with a proven performer and used Break-Free CLP. Why did I use Break –Free? Because I had some with me.

Chuck confirmed in a telephone conversation the previous day that the gun would come with a 16 lb. recoil spring. I decided to use some handloads I had on-hand to begin the break-in process and would save the 230-grain ball ammo I have until I could acquire an 18-½ lb. spring. The first load I tried was Nosler’s 185 grain JHP over 5.3 grains of Hodgdon’s TiteGroup. I began shooting off-hand at 15 yards and the initial shots were low and right. Some quick sight adjustments centered the group and it became obvious this gun is a shooter. I only had fifty rounds loaded with the Nosler bullets and in just a few short minutes I had gone through all of those without a single malfunction. I then switched to loads with the same powder charge but topped with Montana Gold 185 grain JHP’s. The results were the same, flawless performance and the center of the target was chewed out in short order. I was running out of time and owed my very understanding wife a dinner out (she has been understanding and supportive through the waiting process, you know) so I packed up and left for the day, promising myself I would be back Saturday morning.

Saturday morning FINALLY rolled around (one whole day later) and I head back to American Shooting Centers to continue my project. One interruption I hadn’t planned on was the fact I just had to sight in my new Beretta Mato .30-06, another story for another day! So, the first few hours of the day were used up sighting in an absolutely delightful rifle, now on to the pistol range. By now (noon) the pistol range had filled up so I took a place at the 10-yard line to continue break in. I re-oiled, and then out came another box of the handloads with the Montana Gold/TightGroup combination. Fifty rounds later there still were no malfunctions and either the gun or me is getting much more accurate (and I don’t think it is the gun). I had two five shot groups, offhand at the 10 yard line that are one ragged hole. The trigger seems to be getting smoother and I am definitely growing accustomed to my new “friend”. The slide has smoothed up considerably and now will return to battery all by itself. I would like to try some 25-yard groups over the pistol rest but am running out of time (and besides, I need something to do next Saturday) so I pack my belongings and head home.

By mid afternoon I am curious what the innards look like so I began the disassembly of this beautiful piece of machinery. Chuck’s instructions are well written and easy to follow so in just minutes I have the slide off of the frame. Now it is time to remove the barrel bushing. WOW, this thing is tight!!! I don’t understand why RRA furnishes a plastic bushing wrench because you’re going to need steel and the help of a strong friend to move this bugger. Finally I get it to move and then the barrel comes out of the slide, just as the instructions say. I am VERY impressed with the fit and finish of the components. Machine work is first rate and the fitting flawless (but that bushing is TIGHT). After cleaning I must say the bore of that Kart Barrel is like a mirror. Cast lead handloads shouldn’t be a problem at all with a finish like that.

Complaints? I can’t think of anything major. I expect the barrel bushing to become easier to remove and reassemble as time goes on. I’m still not sure I like a full-length guide rod (this one is a two piece). Some more practice may make it easier to remove and install, I just wonder if it really does anything. Even if I decide to change it out to the more conventional recoil system, this isn’t really a major event.

Am I pleased? YES! Was it worth the wait? I think so, time will tell. Would I do the same thing all over again? Definitely!

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Good Shooting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your report. I have a limited match on order for delivery sometime in December. All the published reports that I have read about this gun have been very favorable. The only bad part of your report is that the quoted 9 month waiting period is real. I had hard chrome done so this will probably add a few weeks to boot. I am a bit puzzled why there aren't more reports on these guns. Perhaps its because their production numbers are somewhat low. Apparently that bodes well for the quality.

The people at Rock River have been very good to deal with over the phone with respect to discussing options, etc. So far a real pleasure to deal with.

I previously had a basic Kimber and a Smith M945 that I had Jack Weigand install a red dot mount on. I want to pass on favorable comment about Weigand. He responded quickly to telephone messages and e mails and answered all my questions. I got a two week turn around, even thought the mount had to be modified to fit the M945, and the work was flawless.

I look forward to your further reports on the Rock River gun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DReese,

Thanks for the kind words, the report was fun to write. The gun has more than 500 rounds through it now, all handloads with JHP bullets, and has performed flawlessly. Accuracy is great and the action has smoothed up better than expected. I agree, the wait is not something I looked forward to but Gay was up front, honest, and accurate in how long it would be. As it turned out I think I made the correct choice for me. Would I be just as happy with a Baer or Wilson? Probably. Do I regret going with RRA? No.

Be patient............it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
207 Posts
CCV, Did that bushing ever loosen up? How is it shooting now? Still happy? Ninety one days and a wake up for me. :grin: Sam

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bushing is much easier to turn now, but I still wouldn't use the term "loose". The pistol shoots like a dream and with more than 1000 rounds through it now, all handloads, I have had zero malfunctions. I'm very pleased with the way the action has smoothed up and the accuracy claims are not an exaggeration, the gun shoots!

Yes, to answer your question, I am HAPPY. It was worth the wait and I am glad I went with RRA. You should be pleased when you get it, but the waiting is tough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CCV on 2001-10-20 02:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
CCV, Thanks again for the info. Reading your posts makes it harder for me to wait. 87 days and a wake up. :grin: Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-10-20 22:13 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.