Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, been lurking for awhile; great site.

It's been a long time since I had an M1911 type weapon. Used to have a Randall stainless many moons ago before the movers got it. Came very close to getting a Wilson CQB, but just couldn't force myself to pony up the cash for it. Not to say I won't in the future, but not yet.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get either a Kimber Custom Stainless for about $650, or a Custom Royal for about $750. Can't quite make up my mind. Will want to eventually send this out to either Dane or MD Labs for a reliability job, and maybe a new finish (hard chrome or MD Labs new black super duper finish).

This will not be a carry piece, but one for the range and home defense, unless Missouri gets smart and allows CCW. Will also probably use it for IDPA next year.

So, anyone with a spare opinion that would like to influence my decision?

Thanks,

-dave

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

One of the reasons I'm thinking about the Royal is the quality of the steel. I've read it is better than that of the stainless.

-dave

· Registered
141 Posts
dgoad-

It's not that the Royal is better steel, it's that it's the only rust-blued gun that Kimber makes (non-custom-shop, anyway), and is therefore guaranteed NOT to be stainless. If you aren't interested in having a finish that only works on non-stainless steel (rust blue or parkerizing?) then there's no advantage, but with a Custom Classic or whatever, the frame/slide MAY be stainless steel, which can cause issues if you want to finish the gun with one of the controlled-oxidation finishes.

If you're going with a bake-on or plated finish, then there's no benefit (that I'm aware of) to choosing the Royal over the Classic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.