Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if Royal Robins pants are any good, and if so what color looks the best.

I've got a friend trying to talk me into ordering some but never seeing them before makes me wonder how good they are.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
They fit a little funky. I kept one pair out of four because of it. I have soloed 5.11 and I sure wouldn't use these pants to do it.

A number of Federal agencies issue them. Botach was selling them for $40 a a pair. The fade quickly in all colors including "sand".

Seems to be the uniform for the hip pistoleros, students or instructors. Damn few of them have any idea what 5.11 is or who Royal is. I have pants that fit better and IMO are better to shoot or teach in.

Get 5.11s, a Rolex, a pair of GSG9s, a Emerson and a custom 1911 and you'll fit right in some circles :lol: :lol:

All in jest of course :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-26 01:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hrm, I beg to differ :wink: I own a single pair of the tan colored pants and:

1. for me they fit great
2. been washed multiple times without
wear/fading
3. are confortable to wear
4. I like the belt loops, makes a nice
stable holster platform.

What works for one, doesn't allways work for all as in Dane's case. If I were you, give them a try, that's the only way to judge really :smile:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am not a climber, but have owned a pair of these in the past. My recollection is something was funky about the "rise" of the cut, ie., the crotch of the pant. I did not like them. At the time, I needed small waist / large thigh pant [now a large and large would fit better], and something about these just seemed wrong.

Dane, what climbing pant do you wear...I mean when speedos would be in poor taste :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I don't climb anything but the stairs, but I have a few pairs of columbia pants that are similar, they seem very well made to me and they are comfortable. How do they look? I have no idea, I do like them though. I think they were 30 bucks a pair at the sports authority a few months back. I also got some out door vests made by columbia to use as covering garments for carrying a pistol and they work great for that, a few pockets here and there for the flashlight and other odds and bods. A few things I won't do is wear a photographers vest or carry in a fanny pack, both of those things scream gun to just about everyone. Anyway, this type of pant does allow for more freedom of movement than a pair of levi's and I like the ones I have, but mainly I am in a pair of shorts and birkenstocks with a polo shirt covering the ARG. Not very cool or tough or tactical, but comfortable. Jake

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake Salyards on 2001-06-26 00:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me thinks I'm dangerously close to being a poser :eek:

I've got a Emmerson CQC-7 and a custom 1911 (The Action Works) that resides in a Rosen ARG (or Blade Tech holster on a BlackHawk CQCB belt) along with a Folex watch and several pair's of Danner boots (Much better than GSG9's)

Might just have to keep on wearing old DCU's or Wrangler jeans to keep the geek factor down :lol: :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joey on 2001-06-26 00:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW, won't buy any clothing from RR anymore due to his/their warranty/repair policies.
Always had excellent luck with North Face & Marmot gear. They stand behind their stuff even after extended brutal use.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Dane, what climbing pant do you wear...I mean when speedos would be in poor taste :grin: :grin:

Seldom climb in shorts let alone Speedos:)

I feel tougher in pants, and more willing to take a winger. Grammici for the last 12 years or so. I think the "spats" are the coolest climbing pant I have seen to date and on sale at REI still if you like black. Nasty color in the Valley. OK for a alpine rock sojourn in good weather. Gonna try them this week AMOF :grin:

Synthetics? I use North Face and REI. Climb, teach and shoot in either.

Seen dozens of RRs 5.11s in use. Known fact that you don't buy the black or blue and expect to have them look nice after a few washings because of fading. Tans will turn almost white. Hey, I am just telling you what I have personally seen and what the FEDs (who buy hundreds) tell me.

Bruce is right on the rise. A little short for my taste. If it fits great, if it doesn't, they suck. Royal changed the pattern from a climbing pant to a street pant some time ago. The climbing business aint that good for high end clothing :grin:

Hey, I wear my GSG9s, Rolex and 5.11s too when the occasion arises. Just trying to give a little honest feed back to someone that asked. I suspect "skinny" is a better fit in this pant.

I just figure there are better watches and better pants...still diggin the GSG9s though with a 5.10ie resole :grin:

YMMV of course.

G

·
Does it make me a poser if I have been wearing GSG9s, carrying custom 1911s my first was a Swenson, second was a Behlert Colt 10mm, and carrying a "handmade" custom folder since 1989, Emerson since 1992?
Oh, sorry-I've worn a Rolex since 1986.

Dane, I think you forgot to throw in the German/English car and the Gargoyles in those days, then Oakleys, then P Optics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whew I'm safe from being a pooser :razz: :razz:

I wear Bolle vigalante shades, drive a F-250 Power Stroke diesel and wear cowboy boots the vast majority of time :grin: :grin:

Now if I can just figgure out what kind of pants I should get to replace the DCU's with. Not to mention having something other than jeans to wear :sad:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I think it started with a Corvette in storage, the Rolex Sub, a Randall and a star sapphire, but the gun of choice was a HP then:) Glasses were B&L. So that makes you amost 30 years late David. Folders were only for kids then :grin:

Posers? When I started climbing I tried to promise myself that I would never buy anything I wouldn't use. Climbing is a gear rich environment. Makes shooters, even gear head David :wink:, look like wanta bees.

I figure a poser is the guy who buys it and never uses it. I am going to get out the minute the weather gives me a break and USE some of my gear :grin:

Damn, I guess I should have shot someone with that MP5 :smile: Hate to be labeled a "poser".

Joey, RR 5.11s in Wyoming? Man I would be embarrassed :roll: Carhart maybe, Wranglers for sure, Levis will do but yuppiefied, prep school groupie clothes like RR...you better move to LA, Denver or Seattle before someone lynches ya! Next you'll be wearing PATAGONIA from Yvon, Royal's old nemisis.

Glad you have a gun, dude! :lol: :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-26 04:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm from Wyoming orginally, and give a rats ass about what some ******** think :grin: Actually there are a lot of climbers in my home town, Lander. That's also where Paul Petzold did buisiness and where the NOLS Headquarters are :grin:

If the cowboys don't like my attire, then f*** em :lol:

Joey, nice to see another person from Wyoming here :grin: Its you, me, and Randall_1611 now. Welcome to the board :grin:

Hey Dane :grin: Are these the animal you are reffering to? Look NICE and good price there
as well :smile:

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/P ... menbr=8000

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-26 05:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-06-26 05:43 ]</font>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess you can call Cheyenne part of Wyoming :cool: :cool:

I'm in the USAF/SF (Police) and believe it or not wanted to move here :grin:

Hey, I've got a couple of old pairs of B&L avaitor glasses, and a Randall knife :roll: Can I join your club :eek:

Those slant's aint real pants, they don't cover your boot tops :wink: :wink:

Might just have to visit Ft Collins and REI or Jax today (Tues) to see what they have in stock. Hopefully they will have some kind of pants that reaches my ankle's :lol: :lol:

PS.....What did you climb in lander, hay bales :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joey on 2001-06-26 07:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
515 Posts
One of the best parts of shooting at the the Ft. Harmar club in Marietta in the good ol' days was seeing what John M. would be selling out of the back of that old Subaru. He sold a ton of the Patagonia canvas-cloth pants, shorts, and shirts. He would also have those Caliber Press Street Survival books that you had to know the secret handshake to purchase. There were times I left the range with just barely enough gas money to get back home.

Rosco

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Actually there are a lot of climbers in my home town, Lander.
Ya, I had heard that :wink:
I feel for ya.

Hey Dane :grin: Are these the animal you are reffering to? Look NICE and good price there
as well :smile:

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/P ... menbr=8000
Them's my new knickers, but sheeesh! Did ya have to show everyone I still wear short pants :rool: No good for handgun shooting though. Sans belt loops.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hey, I've got a couple of old pairs of B&L avaitor glasses, and a Randall knife :roll: Can I join your club :eek:
Ya, a law dog with no sense of humor about short pants......yes no doubt you can join the club....there is a Col. here that fits the mold too :grin:

Those slant's aint real pants, they don't cover your boot tops :wink:
See some things should never be on the net! I'll delete this thread shortly :grin:

Hopefully they will have some kind of pants that reaches my ankle's :lol:
There ya go again...now I think you are insulting my ankles! You guys are gonna hurt my feelings!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.