Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother called me tonight and said that he's considering picking up a used P89. Seems his local gunshop has one with 2 hi-cap mags for $299. After looking at several makes/models, his missus liked the feel of this one best (go figure). I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was some problem with early P89s, but it could be my imagination, too. Any comments/experience/pros/cons? They seem like decent pistols for the money, and my brother and his wife are just looking for a solid house gun. I recommended a shotgun, but.... :wink:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rugers are very tough, very reliable pistols. They lack some refinement in ergonomics for me -- they just feel bulky.

I had a P89 several years ago that was 100% reliable through a couple thousand rounds and the accuracy was pretty good. But I sold it after I bought my Glock 23. It just didn't feel right in my hands anymore.

For that price, the Ruger makes a fine firearm for home defense IMHO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a P89 that I'm satisfied with. It's not quite as accurate as some of my other guns, but has never given me a bit of trouble. Eats everything I feed it, from light to heavy, with no mods to springs, etc. Bought it new for under $290 a few years back, and it has been well worth the money.

614 Posts
I bought a P89 when they first came out.Was accurate and always ate what I fed it.The only thing I didn`t like was the trigger pull.It should serve your brother fine for a house gun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 38 Super Combat Commander on 2001-10-17 14:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. Turns out, my brother and his mrs. decided, wisely, to go out and shoot some of the guns they were considering. Turns out they liked a Beretta 92FS best after shooting one, so he thinks that's what they'll be buying soon. A good choice, in my opinion, but that wasn't a bad deal on that Ruger, either. Beretta's gonna cost him a bigger chunk, but I think ultimately it's worth it if it's what they're most comfortable with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yah, I had a Ruger P85 and saw a posting about the safety recall. Went to a local gunshop, asked them about it, they looked it up, and confirmed it. They sent the gun back to Ruger, who fixed the problem and shipped it back, pretty quickly.
Personally, I find the Ruger semiautos to shoot like junk compared to the Berettas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the best pistol is one you can fire accurately and is totally reliable.......my p-89 is both. i have several different pistols, and though the p-89 is ugly compared to some of the high dollar stuff i got, i bet it would still shoot after it was dropped in a puddle of mud.......... the average distance of a gunfight is about 10 feet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally have not fired any of the p series pistols but what I hear about them is a mixed bag. I personally after I get my CZ plan to purchase a p89 since I hear mostly good things about them and am somewhat a ruger fan. People complain most about them being clunky and rattle a little. I hear from others that the rattling you hear is the sound of reliability and high tolerances for abuse. Many people have said before that they look ugly. Well so does the Luger and the Browning hi-power. Both are highly acclaimed guns. If you have a rare lemon big deal send it back and either they fix it or send back a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Home Protection

I have owned a P89 for 4 years and I would say I owe Ruger my Life. Two years ago when staying with a friend we had a break in from a local gang. Some drug crazed idiot fired one shot at me when I came down the stairs (gun in hand) I fired a shot from my P89 and hit him in the shoulder. His two accomplices fled but he raised his gun again and this is were I owe Ruger.. I clipped off 3 shots before he could get the hammer pulled back on his weapon. Unfortunanely two of my shots hit him in head, killing him. This was a tragic incident but it has put 100% confidence in my buying Ruger FireArms.

-M

(Just purchased a p90 to add to my gun cabinet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.