Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago I bought a new Para-Ordinance 14-45 Ltd in stainless steel and it is starting to get rust and pitting on all the exposed parts of the gun, even on the polished sides of the slide. It looks like a teenager with pimples. I keep it in a safe with 2 other handguns that are blued and several other long guns. None of my other guns are showing any signs of rust.

Has anyone else had this type of problem? Any ideas on what could be tried to fix this? I have tried cleaning and oiling the gun but the rust seems to be stuck good. I used CLR on it and cleared some of the rust away, had to use lots of elbow grease, but the pitting is perminant. I know I will have to send it back to Para but I am going to keep shooting it till the snow starts and I do not want it to get any worse. AT present I am heavliy coating (drowning) it in gun oil before putting it in the safe. ANY suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
579 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is the possibility that your Para might have been polished with a wheel, et that had been used on a chrome moly frame or two first. You then have steel particles imbedded into the stainless, and that is what is rusting.

This is for general information. For things that you care about, always use files, wire brushes, et with for one metal. One set for stainless steel, one for chrome moly, one for aluminum, brass, et to prevent cross contamination of the metals.

I hope you get your rusting problem solved. Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a stainless Para 1445 limited and I have had no problems like you describe. I once shot it and forgot to wipe it down and when I took it out to clean it a day or two later it had surface rust where I had gripped the frame and a big fingerprint on the slide, but this pretty much wiped off with some solvent and oil.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: slidelock1 on 2001-08-14 13:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After posting here and my gun dealer contacting Para, I got an e-mail from Para Ordanance about the rust problem on my gun. They felt that the gun was possibly bead blasted in the steel blast area and was inpregnated with steel from the beads. The fix is to send it back to Para for a complete refinishing. Unfortunatly, I am not going to send it back to the until the snow fly's!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a new P14 lim. No problems like yours and I grinded my beavertail all to hell for a perfect fit. Living in hawaii with all the salt air one would think even a stainless gun would rust but mine does'nt. I would contact Para. good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To finish up this thread, I would like to first thank Para Ordinance for their timely help. After an unseasonably warm winter I waited until January to send away my gun (I was waiting for the cold weather to come when I wouldn't miss it so much). I recieved it back Friday and they refinished it except for the Hammer which is still showing the signs of rust. At least a person would not notice it unless I showed them it. All I can say is that I am very happy with the results. The finish does appear to be smother than what it originally was. I compared it to the one other para that is consecutivly numbered that is still in the gunshops store where I purchased my baby from.

Now if only the weather would hurry up and get warm(-20 F) so I can shoot again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is very curious, I've carried stainless 1911s since the early 80s (Randall) and later when Colt came out with their Combat Commander in stainless I bought and carried one of those for several years. Mine have been exposed to the elements while I was out working vehicle accidents in the rain etc and I've never had the first sign of rust appear on any of my stainless 1911s. Did Para Ordinance give you any clue as to what was causing their stainless 1911s to rust?

7th

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same problem and its my only complaint with the pistol. I am considering have it finished in NP3. The problem seems to have gotten better with time. But the rust is still visible.
PAT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.