Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a good Labor Day Weekend. Started off on Thursday with Golf in the drizzle and continued Friday through Monday with a four day Science Fiction / Fantasy Convention (Dragon*Con in Atlanta.) I of course spent all of this time concealing a weapon day in and day out which is forbidden by my employer. The Alessi Hideout again came through for me with flying colors. A couple of these have been seventeen hour days and I'm still comfortable.

Now for the fly in the ointment. Last Summer I was carrying a stainless steel handgun and didn't experience this problem. Carrying a pistol with a blued slide is different. I know how to take care of the rust on the slide but how do I remove the rust deposits inside the holster? Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rust isn't all that bad and it's not just since thursday; it's been a hot summer with no Air Conditioning. But I know that when steel is placed against rust deposits on another object it will more readily rust. So I'd like to be able to scrub the rust deposits out of the holster.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Shortround:
Probably more a case of the leather still being damp, than leather which has collected some of the actual rust. When I sweat through any of my leather, regadless of earlier treatment, I wipe it down inside, let it dry completely (no hair dryers, or forced heat, but laying it on a book, or something to get it into the direct air stream in front of an AC vent will speed drying time) and then spray it with a pure, food grade silicone, and let it dry again. I've had rust on the blued front sight of some of my stainless guns from "too long in the hot and humid",and this usually stops it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Silicone sprays are available at Wally World, and any hardware. There is an infinite variety, sold as spray lubricants, waterproofing sprays, ad infinitum, but those marked "food grade" or "clothing grade" are inert and won't change the fiber of the leather or soften it, if you don't saturate it when applying. The first I used was for lubricating the glide rails for hanging garments in a garment warehouse. The label said it would not stain any cloth fabric, and was also a water proofing agent. It worked, so I've alway stayed with that type, even though I've never been able to find the brand again. Some of the waterproofing types are marked safe for leather (and even suede), but I haven't used them, so can't comment.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Shortround, Sorry to get into this so late. I just got home from work. Walosi gave you excellent advice. A good silicone spray will
Help to keep the leather repelling moisture in this hot humid weather.
Make sure you wipe out the inside of the holster before you spray it.
I have even used break free wiped on the inside of the holster with my fingers.
Lou

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.