Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've seen both. Mine is a bull barrel. I 've seen them with a comp-bushing and plain bushing/barrel set-up on older ones...I've been thinking about trying to convert a set-up with a bushing and plug for mine just for grins...Easier to just get another pistol...Great excuse too...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is a 2000/2001 mixed gun. Bull Barrel and reverse plug. Works great. I had some minor problems that were solved once I found out that the problem was a bad lot of ammo.

Its a very accurate gun.
Pretty too. Mine has a green parkerized frame and black parkerized slide. The Novak Night sights were right on out of the box.
Trigger is nice too.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Man...that does sound nice! More like a Wilson than a SA! Got a picture of that one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nope...that's an odd ball combo, that's why I wanted to see a pic or a scan

...Thanks for thinkin' of me though :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
How do you guys compare the SA Champion to others in this same model? I have been looking at getting one but it seems the cost of these sized guns have gone up?! I have a fullsized loaded SA I got at a gunshow a couple of years ago and I love it! I am glad to hear about the accuracy you guys have been having!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: usmcgrunt on 2001-11-17 12:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well...I like it for this size pistol...There is a definite difference in feel of course from this 4" to a 5"...none I can tell between this and a Commander...You must have already seen some of the accuracy posts...I will say that it seems to take a bit of shooting to get dialed in with it...After a couple thousand I've got a feel for it finally :wink:
The last range time I spent was an eye-opener...For some reason this pistol and I are getting more accurate as we go along...Can't imagine why...The last loads of 9.5gr of AA#5 under a 200gr XTP were scary accurate...At 66 ft the pistol is right on both for windage and elevation...
The accuracy with a pistol that has been fitted by a real smith and then tuned for a certain load would probably 'cause me a heart attack...I just couldn'
t be any happier with the recent improvements in this pistol...It has the original sear and trigger, hammer and mainspring the sear spring was traded for a Clark 4-leaf...The improvement to a 3- 3.25lb trigger has made an enormous difference...as has the re-profile of the sights to a thinner front w/fibre insert and slight widening of the rear Novak...The finish is...gone...essentially...I have been patching it here and there with cold blue as things get scraped, rubbed, buffed, sanded, filed etc...it's not "BUTT" ugly yet...but it's definitely lookin' "used"...It's been awhile since I replaced the ejector and extractor (800) and the pin set...I've tried 18, 20, 22, 24lb Wolff recoil springs and have settled on the 18 for the lighter loaded LSWC and JTC (200gr over 8.0gr of AA#5) and a standard 22 or 24 for carry and the full power loads I mentioned earlier...The mags that came with it (mec-gar) are still working perfectly and the CMC 8s and 10s with the Wolff +5% springs are workin' as well...If I could just bite the bullet and go ahead and get a couple more pistols, I'd get a better finish, as it is, I'm still not finished playin' with it though...This may be the never-ending-pistol as I can't ever see not havin' a Commander -size pistol...I have noticed the price has jumped considerably as listed on some sites...I think you may still be able to find them for good prices off and on...I guess I'd buy another one...maybe a lightweight next time as this steel is a bit weighty...Compared to the 6" 629...it's no big deal...I just like the feel of steel...I would like at least one lightweight for those late days when my back is warnin' me though :wink:
I'm not sure what you're really askin' , USMCGRUNT...if I didn't touch on anything that you wanna' know, just ask...If I could do it over, I'd get the Parkerized finish...They didn't have one at the store this one came from, but they sure have been sellin' a lotta' pistols since September 11, 2001...I imagine they are turnin' over a lot of inventory...maybe they'll have one to ogle soon...The problem is that they DO have a lot of different 1911s and I almost went over the edge with a Baer the last time through there!!! That scared me so, I've been spendin' more time shootin' and playin' with this one and I'm glad...It sure seems to have paid off...This is the most reliable and accurate pistol I've had in quite awhile...I sure never would have guessed it from the first 800 rds though! I'm glad I didn't dump it and try to get somethin' else to be what I wanted...I really haven't done much to this one and now it never leaves my side...Just goes to show I guess...sometimes you don't know what you've got til' you get the right ammo and a feel for a pistol...I have a much better idea of what I want on my future custom pistols now...I don't have to play the guessing game anymore...and of course...they'll be 1911s...

·
Registered
86 Posts
gyp_c2,
you pretty touched on everythng I asked and even on some that I had forgotten to ask! Have you done any major part exchanging other than what you talked about? You seem to be very satisfied with the gun overall it seems! Why would you go with a parkerized? Simply for the finish? Would you get a loaded or just a mil-spec and then add the parts later? The SA loaded fullsized I have shoots well and I havent changed a thing on it with the exception of adding a S&A magwell. Did you experiment with other ammo before you decided and what you are using now? I have heard of some slides cracking from SA on the fullsize loaded stainless have any problems occured with the Champion models? Sorry about all the Questions its just that I try to do as much research on a gun I intend to buy and the best way is to ask someone who actually has one rather than ask a dealer who is trying to make a sale!! But anyway thanks for all the info and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: usmcgrunt on 2001-11-18 00:38 ]</font>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.