Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope you are enjoying the weekend and didn't get stuck working like me...

I have an S-A milspec that feeds ball ammo fine, however, the 230 gr. Golden Sabers I use for carry hang up a bit. I have noticed that there are brass marks on the slide stop. It seems that as the round is raised to the top of the mag (or the first round), the bullet contacts the slide stop. Often, the round is forced into a nose dive type position. I filed a tad off the stop, but haven't tested it yet. Is this somewhat common? It looks like there's plenty of room to file it down a bit, an awful lot of metal makes contact with the mag lip

Any advice would be apreciated.

Regards,

Coop

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...careful now....Leave that file alone for a bit and try shootin' it a bit. Can you say again what the problems you are having as well as how old, the model, what mags, anything you wanna' share...How many rounds through it...that sort of stuff...

Welcome BTW...:wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
845 rounds through it.
W/ the slide locked back, you insert a mag with at least one round in it. The brass jacket (golden saber) contacts a portion of the stop. It seems to contact it about where the ogive (taper) begins on the round.

Not the flat ventral side where the mag lip hits it, but the lateral side. It's almost like the lateral side of the stop protrudes more than the ventral portion of the stop. I wanted to file it so that the lateral side was vertically even... This probably is hard to imagine.

My thought is that maybe hollowpoints taper further out to make up for the weight loss of being hollow in front???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coop de Ville on 2001-05-28 08:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's common for certain rounds, usually ball, to nudge the slide stop. Instead of cutting off too much of the follower shelf on the slide stop, first cut a detent into the slide stop. If this is not sufficient to cure the problem, then look at cutting the shelf/ledge. I like using the Krieger detent spotting drill from Brownell's. Use a Foredom or Dremel and it makes a clean dimple. It can also be cut with a carbide burr, but the resulting detent is not as cosmetically pleasing. I'm real anal about cosmetics, but you'll really be the only one to see the detent cut, as it's covered when the gun is assembled. As far as cutting the slide stop ledge, it can be radiused at the rear corner, and will usually then clear everything.

BTW, Golden Saber has a wicked blast and report. You may want to try a lower flash round like something from Federal. Their 230 gr JHP (not Hydrashok) is highly rated for terminal performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.