Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a opinion on the 457
I bought one about 6 mo. ago and have put about 600 rds of reloads thru it without any problems. During cleaning I noticed that the little spring loaded end of the recoil spring guide seems to be hitting on something and has a groove starting to show on it. It feels like it is made of plastic. Is this normal wear? Any input would be welcome

G

·
I have shot the S&W 457 and I really like the pistol. It is a great buy for the money. The pistols I have shot are both reliable and accurate. The only thing these bargains need is a trigger job. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our department issued them to plainclothes officers and they worked Ok My only gripe is the plastic parts. I replace the plastic spring guide with a stainless steel version that Smith & Wesson supplied free. I think is was from a TSW compact .45. Also if you have a older model check the magazine catch to see if it is plastic or steel the later production was steel but the older ones were plastic and prone to failure. S&W also supplied this part at no charge. This was about 18 months ago and with the new management I don't know what they will do. However the parts can't be that costly and I beleive they are worth it. I also have my own 457 that I use from time to time it is a great gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.