Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to remove/disable the magazine safety on a S&W M4003 .40 S&W?

I view magazine safeties about the same as training wheels on a bicycle.

Thanks,
Nomad

·
Registered
218 Posts
They can be removed. If you look inside the mag well you can see how the mag safety works, it's operation is pretty simple. I won't try to explain how to do it because I don't know how :smile: - but I knew a guy who had done it to his Smith autos without a problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spackler4013 on 2001-11-21 18:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would be interested in hearing how this is accomplished, if you could get the details from your friend. IIRC, the disconnect operates off of a leg which hangs from the bottom of the ejector. The mag forces it into contact with the trigger drawbar linkage. So, you can't just cut-off the offending part.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used to despise mag safeties. I have learned that they are not a detriment to a good trigger if you know how to do a proper trigger job. S&W will omit this feature on Police weapons but specifically forbids armorers from converting them. The easy way to disable this feature is to look at the difference in the 1076. It does not have this feature (The FBI spec'd it w/o mag safety). the only difference is the lack of spring and plunger (the plastic one) in the slide. to remove these you must remove the rear sight (always take off from right to left and replace in reverse order). Do so at your own risk, I'm sure a court would look at the removal of any safety device as grounds for a law suit in a shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.