Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently pick up this model 48 and it has a little problem. When putting it into battery both in single action and double action it wants to lock up about half way through the cycle, the slower you go the more likely it is to happen, the faster you go the less likely. (See video below). When I first got it I figured it just needed a good cleaning so I took off the side plate and everything was clean enough to eat off of but I took it apart and cleaned and oil it anyway and replaced the hand thinking that might be the culprit, but to no avail. Since making the video below I have discovered that if you open the cylinder and push in on the bolt/cylinder catch that it works flawlessly in both single and double action regardless of how fast or slow you work the action. Doesn't make sense to me but could it be as simple as replacing the bolt/cylinder catch, plunger and spring. Would appreciate your thoughts on this...thank you!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Before doing much else, I'd recommend removing the side plate, put the cylinder assembly back in the frame and look closely at the interface where the rear curve of the hammer bypasses the cylinder latch.
If the front pin on the latch that is pushed back by the ejector center pin is worn, altered or deformed it may not be pushed far enough to the rear to clear the hammer.

Check the ejector center pin for wear or impacted fouling that may be limiting the movement.
Inspect the center pin spring for corrosion or fouling.
If the center pin has a problem it may not be pushing the on the front of the cylinder latch far enough to the rear.
"Probably" the preferred repair would be to replace the ejector center pin with a slightly longer pin.

Note that there was an Old Style and a New Style center pin AND cylinder latch.
Brownell's carry the Old Style in both parts but not the New Style center pin.

Jack First also has some parts........

Another possibility is the hand is jamming on the ejector.
With the side plate off and the cylinder in, slowly cock the hammer and watch for any sticking.
Inspect the ejector for worn, altered, or deformed lugs.

Look closely for any replaced, altered, or deformed parts.
As always with a used gun, suspect EVERYTHING, trust NOTHING. God knows what someone likely has done to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What frame is a Smith and Wesson Model 48?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts