Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my NIB SA loaded 45 to the range yesterday. Fired approx 100 rds of mixed factory 230 Grn ball. It is shooting about 2-3 in low at 50 feet. How much more break-in should I allow before taking corrective action?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most S/A loaded's shoot low. Other than "flinching" the cause is too tall a front site. I had my local smith machine it down. If your good with a Dremal or other metal removing tools you can do it yourself.Be sure to only remove .010 to .015" at a time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I actually do think that breaking a gun in can change its point of impact. I had a USP 45 fullsize about 5 years back and the first range session of 250 rounds it was all over the place. I figured it was just me and let some other fellows try it and it was still all over the place. I took it home and cleaned it and scratched my head some. A week later I took it back to the range and it was shooting dead on in tight little groups (by my standards and abilities they were tight).

As regards the SA shooting low - I have heard this a fair amount, and I believe the front sight is a little high on them. Just make sure that when you start filing and fixing that you are using the ammo that you want the gun to be sighted in for. If you sight it in using 230 grain S&B ball and then put 185 grain golden sabers in there for carry you won't be able to glue anymore on the front sight. Also, and this is said with humbleness and the self acknowledgement that I have a long way to go and much to learn - I would put a few more hundred rounds through it before I started filing or fixing anything just to be sure. If you are getting good, tight groups but they are just a little low I wouldn't be too worried as that should be an easy fix with a file.

Let us know what happens. Better yet, send it to Mr. Heinie and have him put a set of straight eight night sights on it with a slightly lower front sight. This seems like a good way to convince the wife of the necessity of the new (better) sights to me.

Good luck brother.
Jake

·
Registered
428 Posts
For what it is worth, my SA "Loaded" shot low and left(as in 8:00 the outermost ring on a 100 yd rifle target at 50 ft low and left!); it also rubbed on the left side of the slide at the scallop.

It went back to SA. Still shoots low, but not as badly. That rear sight does NOT want to move, however, even w/a urethane mallet liberally applied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.