Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...OK

This is NOT a .vs. post...This is just to ask the smiths that do the work on them...

Which do you prefer to start with for a pistol that will be used as an all-around, take me everywhere, do whatever, and still shoot everytime and hit what you shoot at pistol?

No checkering, no nothing fancier than the edges knocked off and maybe a metaloy or even just parkerized finish...

WHY?

...and I left Kimber out on purpose, so let's not go there...
I also left the GI models out to avoid the "don't shoot that antique" thing as well....

Consider that this would be one that if it was lost or destroyed you could easily have its' replacement in the safe ready to go...or even created without much trouble..

Thanks In Advance...:wink:

· Registered
893 Posts
I could go with either one, but I hate the Series 80 safety and would have it removed and the space filled in, which would cost me more money. So, what I'm saying is I'll probably take the SA, unless I get a really great deal on the Colt.

· Registered
401 Posts
Ive had many (5-10) of each in the past few years. There is good and bad in both the 1991 and SA Mil Spec. If possible go to a local shop, even if you can find a better "deal" on the net, and hand pick threw a few if they will let you. Ive found great variation in the 1991's and the Mil Spec S/A's.

Hell im having Larry Vickers build my second gun on a S/A mil spec that i found at a local shop, it had the old style stamped (not dot matrix) NM serial #. It also had a GREAT frame/slide fit, conventional "rear" only cocking serrations, and overall the markings/finish was MUCH better than any S/A ive ever seen past or since.

ALOT of the 1991's made in the past year seemed to have slipped in overall quality. I had noticed many with no distuingishable line between flat and round on the frames, and some slides were also washed out in the same manner.

THE CURRENT PRODUCTION 1991'S with surface ground slide flats are much better it seems. I picked over one today and i tell you it was A+. It wasnt a parkerized gun, it had a matte blue frame with matte rounds on the slide and "semi gloss" flats that appeared to be surface ground, THEY WERE flat true and square. This is a big pet peave of mine, i had when the flat/rounds are not crisp and clean looking. I will likely go down in the morning and buy this gun, as overall it was a good one. The current 1991's (at least this one) also have a stainless barrel that was finished very well (with exception of some hoaky factory wanna be throat job).

Any how, point is this- either the SA or Colt would be a good choice. I would suggest focusing on inspecting what ever you get closely, as there are dogs in either.

· Registered
46 Posts
Good advice on the cherry pick.
Often find used fit up better than some of the new.
Thinking SA been runnin better past few years
but that goes back and forth.
somthin about production runs.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...mirrors my conclusion. I've been feelin' like it's time for a "pony" and have seen some decent prices on 70s lately...I think it's time for me to try some history :wink:

...'course, the Hell of it is you never know what you'll see around the corner!

LOL;)

· Registered
401 Posts
You gotta be just as picky with a 70 series. Heck ive probably seen more 70 series guns with crooked or "wiggly" lines than the 80 series guns.

Retting out in Cali. has a couple of 70 series Combat Commanders, one is about 99% in box, the other about 92% with no box. Decent prices on both.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yessir...gotta' be picky with everything...I appreciate the pointer on those...:wink:

By far the best to find someone you have some connection with rather than complete strangers...You never know who has it at the time though...:wink:

· Registered
171 Posts
On 2001-05-26 01:52, RMLamey wrote:
"You gotta be just as picky with a 70 series. Heck ive probably seen more 70 series guns with crooked or "wiggly" lines than the 80 series guns."

Retting out in Cali. has a couple of 70 series Combat Commanders, one is about 99% in box, the other about 92% with no box. Decent prices on both.
I have had 2 very good experiences with Retting buying older S&W`s, a P&R Mod 27 and a Pinned Nickle Mod 15 that they listed as ANIB and was.

They will pull the gun and spend time on the phone with you and are honest in the descriptions...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-26 13:16 ]</font>

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who has the contact info...That's the second time I've heard that....maybe an omen...:wink:

:wink:

· Registered
401 Posts
Ask for ALex at Retting, he is as knowledgable a sales person as ive dealt with any where.

They were more than kind and patient with my long winded questions and pondering on the phone. I won a 1991 Combat Commander they had on Auction Arms. It had a properly fit Ed Brown grip safety, had a reliablity job (judging by the highly polished breach face/feed ramp/barrel throat and chamfered firing pin hole, was 99+%, for $425. Gonna be my new carry gun (after some slant pros and scallops on the ms and front strap)

· Registered
239 Posts
gypc_2:
if looking for Series 70 guns, be sure you know if you want a big rollmark or small rollmark gun. I had good luck re: cosmetics on 2 small letter 70's I picked up recently. However, neither were original -- see my "Original Colts" post here. Try to get guns with unaltered ramps if possible. Good luck.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hilton...Yes!

Thanks for that post, I've paid special attention to that since reading it.It helped...I've noticed the same thing...of the last 3 small tere were two with perfectly untouched frames; 1 that was a waste of time The 3 with large marks were ALL tampered with...I wouldn't have caught that a few weeks ago...

:wink: I like this place...:wink:

RMLamey...Thanks for the heads up on the guys...Looka like a good lace to shop...Congrats on the new/old pistola!

Thanks to all for the comments...I've actually seen some really nicer pieces than were available a few months ago...
Of course, it hasn't hurt at all having others experiences to draw on :wink:

· Registered
548 Posts
Get as good as you can afford. I like the Springfield Company, but not the products. Colt isn’t much higher in my book either.

At the Air Force Academy we have 23 Kimbers and have beaten the hell out of them for the past four years. 30K of TZZ ball ammo through each, estimated, and they are still going. And cadets have been shooting them with me maintaining them. If all that combined isn’t a recipe for failure, I don’t know what is.

I would just buy an STI single stack, have it hard chromed, and be done with it. Easier and better than anything I can think of. Hell, even the front strap is scalloped a-la Heinie. No plastic mainspring housings either.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...WOW!

....That's a good one! Thanks Hoser...have you any pictures of yours'? ...or one of the teams' for that matter...I know you handle lots and lots!
Wasn't there a match this weekend? :wink:

· Registered
548 Posts
There was a match this weekend, in Gunnison. It was the State Championship.

My single stack is a Caspian Race Ready frame with STI slide. Nothing fancy other than the Heinie sights.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the STI web-site...They have some very intriguing pieces...I think I'll have to call because there's so much on the site, I'll be lost unless I eliminate bunches of it from the git-go!

Thanks for the pointer...:wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.