Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a couple of questions for y'all. I currently own a Wilson Protector SS. I love it! I acquired a Kimber Ultra Carry. I was dissatisfied with the overall slide to frame fit. It seem loose. I traded it in for a Springfield Ultra Compact. I am more pleased with this one. It feeds all ammo reliably and has a nice look. I just learned how to tear apart the entire gun (without any hard lessons!). I know what each part is, but I'm still trying to understand how they all function together. I would like to get to the point that I can do my own 1911 work.

My first question is: On a stock gun, what parts should I replace? I thought of the trigger, thumb safety, sear, and extractor.

Second, what exactly does a pistolsmith do when the do a "Trigger job".

Third, my biggest problem is that I own what I perceive as "the perfect handgun" for me. My Wilson is the nicest pistol I've ever owned. Nothing is as good in my eyes. When I go to compare, the SA has movement in the slide to frame fit and a loose grip safety. These are probably normal, but when compared to my Wilson, these look wrong.

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Methuselah on 2001-08-12 14:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No there's nothing wrong with the gun. I suppose that I just need to shoot it a lot more. I will read up from those books that you've listed.

If I wanted to change out some of the stock parts with custom parts, which ones. This is just a project pistol. I want to learn as much as I can from this 1911.

Sometimes, when I ask gunsmiths about gunsmithing, I get the feeling from them that it's too hard for me or it's a secret art that I shouldn't learn. They are all very nice. I just get the feeling that if they teach me, they'll be out of business. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I just have a curious nature and desire to learn a little more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Methuselah on 2001-08-12 14:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think there are any secrets, but if a gunsmith is talking to you he is not working on a gun. So he may not be willing to spend the time except to discuss what you are paying to have done. My FLG recently listened patiently to a customer and told him "You have told me what you want, now I will tell you what you need."

·
Registered
68 Posts
hello everyone
I am concidering a Ultra compact for my first 1911, will be a carry gun if the law ever passes. How do you like yours overall?? was wondering if any one thinks this can be a reliable firearm in such a short barrel (3.5") or if a compact (4.0") would be better.
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.