Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a USP .45 full size, and I am wondering if anyone knows how safe they are as far as the hammer on the firing pin situation.
If I have the safety off, and the hammer down into DA position, and I drop it, will it go off? Of if I hit the hammer with my elbow while it is in a holster with that set it off like it would on a 1911? Is the hammer sitting right on the pin, or is there a mechanical seperation?
Or if I have the hammer back into SA position, and I drop it, will the hammer release?
I am curious, but I didn't want to beat the hell out of weapon to find out. So if any of you guys know, please share.
I am guessing that HK engeneering will make it pretty safe, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks,
LionHeart!

·
Registered
20 Posts
the usp series has a firing pin block, meaning the firing pin is locked in the safe position as long as you are not touching the trigger. Of course, it is possible that this block may break (never seen it though) and a jolt would cause the weapon to discharge. But I would not worry about it. never point it at anything you value when you decock. it's very unlikely that the block would damage itself-if something does happent to your usp, get it checked out by someone who understands how it works to make sure it is still functioning.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drop tests According to SAMMI/ANSI Z299.5/1990 and
German BMI test methods. Primed case in
chamber, 13 dummy rounds loaded, hammer cocked,
safety/decocking lever set to "fire"
All six sixes of weapon, plus 45 degree top
muzzle, onto rubber from height of 4 feet.

Six times onto cocked hammer onto steel/concrete
from height of 3 and 6.7 feet.

No ignition or primer indent permitted. Pistol must
function normally after tests are completed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the data,
That was kind of what I figured. The exellent german engineering was one of the reasons I bought the USP in the first place.
Out,
LionHeart!

G

·
The guys have done a great job in answering your question so I do not have a lot to add but, I am told by HK that the USP would be rendered unfirable/useable if the safety mechanism wear to fail/break.
In this case it would seem that the pin block would not fail after being dropped or struck and cause the pistol to fire as apparently this breakage will render the pistol unfirable.

I question the actual real world chain of events as I would tend to believe that the one round chambered would be impacted if the pistol were struck hard enough with a force of sufficent magnitude that the block were to break.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.