Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local IDPA match today when a friend's MIM thumb safety broke on his Kimber Target.

It was his turn to shoot so he went up to the line, loaded his gun and said he was ready. The buzzer sounded, he drew his gun, snicked off his thumb safety and it fell at his feet.

I examined the part after it happened and the safety broke clean off right where the post connects to the safety body. It left the post and a tiny portion of the safety body still in the gun. Upon inspecting the part more closely, the MIM looked pretty porous at the crack.

He is going to contact Kimber and see what they have to say about it. He finished the match using my Baer PremierII. Needless to say, no failures from that point forward :smile:

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
473 Posts
Funny how everyone responds that they don't have any problems with there guns with mim parts....until they break. All MIM parts arent bad but if my butt is on the line,the parts are forged tool steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The ambi safety broke on my Compact CDP during Dry Fire on some +P+ snap caps! The pistol was 3 months old and had only 500 rounds through it when this happened. Kimber offered to replace it w/ a new part for free - a kind offer I politely refused.

I replaced EVERY MIM part w/ Ed Brown, Swenson and (old) Colt tooled steel - making a $1K+ pistol much more expensive.

I will NOT buy another pistol w/ any MIM parts!

Roger D

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
"I will NOT buy another pistol w/ any MIM parts!
ALL the 1911s built today have MIM parts.

That doesn't make them bad just less expensive. For my own guns I also replace everything I can with steel tool.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-08 20:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe ALL commercially built 1911's have MIM parts, but the one Dave Stagg built for me this year (and it is SUPERB) has only tooled steel, and lots of exceedingly refined metal work on a high quality frame, slide, bar. and "parts". I have found it to be extremely accurate, reliable and a joy to shoot.

For factory guns I tend to favor the pre-Series 70's - generally not too hard to find in good shape, and for factory guns, fine shooters.

I will admit however that after the overhaul, the chopped-frame, short bar. Kimber CDP does group and handle well.

Roger D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger D on 2001-10-08 21:10 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.