1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that when using a seater/crimper die, like the Lee 3
die carbide set, that seating and crimping in the same operation is for the
birds? I'm using a single stage press (Rockchucker), and if I try and
seat/crimp in the same operation I always have trouble.

It should be easy, but with cast lead bullets, I always deform the bullet or
don't get enough crimp. Plus, it's easier to get a more accurate aol if you
seat as a single op. For less than 200 rounds, I can run them through twice
faster than I can set up the die. I'm not just ranting, I'm wondering if I'm
missing out on some great secret society of single stroke seater/crimpers?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Know what you mean, and I basically agree. My own experience led me to seat and crimp in different operations. Basically I seat the bullet in a regular seating die w/o crimping, then run the loaded round through a Lee Factory Crimp die. That die post sizes the case to insure chambering and applies the final crimp. Also found that using it helped eliminate some bullet setback problems I was having for awhile.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
So...do ya'll size twice? ...or just the once as the final step?
I almost always wind up goin' twice...and to tell the truth, as long as the die is right, it doesn't always need the extra steps. Depends on what I'm loadin' for and how finicky it is...If I do the prep and keep it consistent, it's hard to tell the difference without mic'n everything. I have one set of RCBS in 45 acp that work just right and I can leave off the final crimp and still get a .469 to .71 at the crimp...Just depends I guess...

·
Registered
19 Posts
make sure you chamfer case mouth... seat/crimp seperately..crimp to.469" using LEE fac.crimp die...(do not use bullets larger than .452 dia.)check oal.is it 1.275 " or less ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.