Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get questions all the time relating to the selection of quality 1911 parts and acessories. This is a topic I like to talk about. I have always enjoyed the arrival of a new Brownells catalog. The ideas that people come up with are mind boggling. I am always asked which brand of parts are best, there is no single answer, first I am not in bed with any parts manufacturer, or seller or even gun manufacturer. If I think a product is good after, repeat AFTER, I have used it and it is made well and holds up well, I will endorse that paricular part. There are very few hammers that I buy, I do not buy MIM parts which stands for metal injection molded. I am very selective of the sears that I will use, and the same goes for the disconnectors, etc. etc. When we are talking about a specific part I can not just buy brand names. Some of these brands just buy parts and put that part in their own packaging. For instance if I buy a part today from company XYZ It may be made by sub contractor A and if I buy that same part NEXT WEEK it may be made by sub contractor B, well I may or may not get the same quality. HOPE I DID NOT LOSE ANYONE. To simply say that one company simply has the best parts as a blanket statement is crazy. I use quite a few KING parts, but not his entire line. I use Brown Tactical thumb safeties, but I do not use his hammers. I use only wolff springs because there is no equal, they are the best in N. America. I do use some wilson guide rods but his Dwyer group gripper NEVER. I like KART barrels or a Briley barrel would I buy BARSTO barrels, NEVER. I like C & S sear and one of his 1911 hammers, but I would not use or buy his BHP hammer. EGW makes a good sear. Its all relative to the experience I have had with the part in question. I have used everyones parts, The only McCormick part I like is his ss strut, I do not use anything else he sells, NOTE I didn't say makes. The parts business is a multi million dollar industry and the name of the game is money. When it says TITANIUM look out, Ask your self what percentage of titanium is in the part, no one wants to tell you. I do not buy TITANIUM parts or guns for me personally. If titanium is so strong like they would have you believe why then do the manufacturers of titanium hanguns (REV) use a steel barrel liner? because titanium and it depends on the content is flexible and is no good for a rifled barrel. I could go on and on but by now you get the picture. If you take it easy on this old man, I will try and answer your questions. I am not part of the establishment, I will not deceive anyone.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to answer you questions with no BS, You may not like what I say but that the way it is. As for the barsto barrels their feed ramps and crown are very inferior to FRED KART. You can never get Irving stone on the phone they are to arrogant. I think the father used to make a better barrel. As for the c&s BHP hammer, 2 things bother me 1 st is that when I have installed one in the past and you dry fire it the first few times the firing pin indents the hammer which tells me the steel is soft, so when I called c&s the secretary said Bill is not taking calls this month and when I do get some one on the phone and I ask them about the rockwell hardness of this BHP hammer they tell me they have no idea what it is, and as for the 2 nd item the actual diameter of the hammer that you pull back is too small and very difficult to pull back. As for his after market thumb safety its junk.

Teddy

G

·
Teddy,
While I am going to disagree with you as to Barsto, I do like Kart barrels but I have spoken with Irv Stone some years back and I have used/owned several dozen guns with his barrels.
I am curious as to what parts you would use?
Please run through a "virtual" 1911 pistol, how would you construct it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Teddy,

I'd also like to know your preferences for firing pins, firing pin stops, thumb safeties and grip safeties.

And regarding hammers, who would you say makes the best GI-style spur hammer and the best lightweight rowel hammer?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I to prefer Kart or Lissner barrels (to bad the Lissners are next to impossible to get), But i do think Bar Sto's are up there at the top. Customer service may not be to your liking, but that goes for most companys.

On the C/S HP Hammer, i stil prefer then to the stock hammer somewhat, although there is nothing wrong with the stock spur type hammer (the stock "commander" type hammers i dont like).

Any how, maybe this will stay a learning topic, weve been pretty short of those lately :eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are not looking at these parts the same way, I have used hundreds and hundreds of these parts and I see things you don't. Most of you do not understand where I am coming from, stand back and open your eyes and listen. When I have time I wll run thru the scenario of building a gun with the parts I have selected. This will answer DAVIDS question. As for BARSTO I never told you not to buy his barrels I said I would not because If you examine quality of the feed ramp or quality of a crown or even the polish of the rifling there is no comparison to Fred Kart or Claudios barrels at Briley. Call them talk to them like I do. So you have owned a Barsto barrel and it worked and you were happy with you groups, that is not what this coversation is all about. No one can fool me in this business I have done to much of it. The major old world craftsmen of this world are either dead or in nursing homes. When I waste my time obviously and go into detail about a hammer or a thumb safety or a spring, I am not telling you what I think because I looked at that part, its because I used it, installed, and saw the end result time after time. If you will listen and learn and stop jumping on this old man you will get smarter. I have no ax to grind regardless of what brand I use. I still own a 1989 Toyota truck. I am not rich like these other people I HAVE NO EMPLOYEES. I STILL DO MY OWN WORK. I GET REQUESTS FROM PEOPLE EVERY WEEK FOR ME TO TEACH THEM HOW I DO MY WORK. THE ANSWER IS NO, AND WILL ALWAYS BE NO. I will get back to you about the parts I would use in a 1911 after my days work is over.

Teddy

·
Registered
401 Posts
Teddy, if its the crown that bothers you, chuck the barrel up in your lathe and crown it properly. Most barrels, even Karts can stand a proper crowning.

If you are suspect about a parts hardness, clamp it down on your Rockwell tester and test it.

Simply because i dont completely agree with you, doesnt meen that "I dont understand where you are coming from"

I dont understand why if anyone doesnt agree exactly with what you post, you get this condesending attitude. Ive worked with a few pistolsmiths in the past, one being a retired AMU Armorer. I understand a bit about good pistolsmithing and what is and is not a good part. I work with steel day in day out, i understand what makes a good part and what does not. I have decent machining skills, i can see casting/tooling/machining flaws easily (and at times i can tell you why they are present what cuased them)

Dont assume that we are all neophytes with no other skills than typing on a keyboard :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Guys ! Please, Please, Please ! Let`s let Teddy Run at his speed here about what he wants.

If we get bogged down in getting him debating details on barrel crowning, or other small stuff like that we will lose the larger overview from someone who has seen & worked on thousands of guns over about 100 years :smile:, or he will shut up & go away.

He doesn`t need us....imagine if you could have the 1930 Custom Shop Foreman from Colt here going on...or Swenson...just talking, just telling what they have seen & done...

Please..let Teddy Run, not debate him, going where he wants to about whatever he remembers...

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-06-08 15:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
240 Posts
On 2001-06-08 10:17, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
I GET REQUESTS FROM PEOPLE EVERY WEEK FOR ME TO TEACH THEM HOW I DO MY WORK. THE ANSWER IS NO, AND WILL ALWAYS BE NO.

Teddy
I am rather curious. Why do you tell people you won't teach them to do this work? Surely a dedicated individual and the pistolsmithing community as a whole would benefit from your vast knowledge.

I suppose it is hard to find someone with the patience to do this painstaking work?

Thanks for the info,
Bill DeZarn

·
Registered
401 Posts
Guys, im completely calm, always am. Just dont understand why when i dont agree, then im somehow unable to understand where hes coming from. Geesh! Im not poking at Teddy, i KNOW HE DOES GOOD WORK!!

If we cant have a constructive disagreement then this whole site should close its doors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMLamey on 2001-06-08 14:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will answer some of your questions now and some later becasuse its been a long day for me. I will tell you about the crown first. I do not use a milling machine or a lathe. I am not a machinist I do very involved trigger work, by changing angles etc. etc. I cut all my crowns by hand and it usually takes me about one hour to cut a crown by hand using specially made tools that were made for me in a local machine shop. If I had a rockwell hardness tester obviously I would not have to have called C and S about the hardness of their BHP commander hammer. Why would I want to purchase a Barsto barrel with inferior crown and an inferior feed ramp and rifling that does not compare to Kart. I also like Claudios barrels at Briley. If I have a question about a barrel I can easily pick up the phone and talk to Fred Kart or Claudio. Have you ever tried to call the owner of Bartso "FAGHETABOUTIT" its a total waste of time. I always have time to speak with anyone that calls me regardless, but not everyone feels like me. If a hammer shows the indent of a firing pin that tell me that the steel is soft, HOW THEN WILL MY ENGAGEMENTS BE ABLE TO HOLD UP IF ITS SO SOFT. Some one asked me who makes a good GI hammer, COLT for one, only it is heavy and may have to be lightened. I will try and answer the rest of your questions later. Take it easy on me, just pay attention and stop believing the BS you have always heard and read. Its no secret a lot of people do not like me because I tell it like it is, but that is their problem and not mine. I want to ask some of you people have you ever tried to recut the crown on a Glock? Think its easy, try one.

Teddy

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thank goodness that Mr. Jacobson is not thin skinned, IMHO. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to LEARN SOMETHING, instead of him being flamed into non-participation. I hope he stays.

I don't know how to build a pistol, set a sear, crown a barrel or anything else about pistolsmithing. Nor do I personally know any smiths and have never shot anyboby's custom built pistols. Don't know much about steel either, or how and why tool marks are present. I am just a cop (no, actually, I'm a pretty good cop that's managed to stay alive and taske care of his family and community for 27 years), and since Mr. Jacobson has been one of the few people posting here that have mentioned KEEPING MY BUTT ALIVE while I'm at work, I'd like to hear what he has to say. Then hopefully I may make some informed decisions on the choices concerning my real life, carried everyday and practiced with regularly, tools. I can't afford ONE $2500 custom gun, much less a brace or two (a $10,000 gun might as well be $10,000,000)and my $1000 to $1500 in upgrades needs to be spent wisely, getting the most BANG for my bucks.

So, Gentlemen, please let Mr. Jacobson, and other knowledgeable folks, TEACH ME something. If you have your own expert opinions that don't agree with the poster, instead of ripping the poster, go and start your own seperate post. I will gladly follow and learn something from you also.

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-06-08 18:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
169 Posts
You have mentioned EGW sears. One of the most common sear/hammer combos is an STI A6 hammer with an S7 sear. What do you think? I also hear some about Koenig hammers, do you like those?

What triggers do you prefer?

Hope I have not asked too many questions.

Incidently, I love your posts. I think I am going to send you a little J-frame for some trigger work as soon as I get around to actually buying it.

Thank you kindly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.