Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my wife a USPC .45. I know what you are thinking. She loves it and can shoot it better than me. I bought some Remington Golden Saber 185gr. bullets. I wanted to know if that was a good choice for a self defense round. Thanks

G

·
Within a very, very close range all .45 jhp premium rounds perform quite well.
IF you like the 185gr GS stick with it, if you have the time and are willing to spend a few dollars pick up a few of each brand and test them personally for accuracy, reliability, and percieved recoil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I plan on doing that as time and money allow. I had heard that they were good, but there are so many it's hard to choose. I have another question also. The gun will occassionally jam. I think it may be the mag springs but it is brand new. The guy at the gunshop thought I was limp wristing. I'm not. The round will lodge half way up the extractor and wedge into the breechface. A stiff cycling of the slide will disloge and eject the unspent round. I dont want to have to send my gun in because of the expense and I don't want to deal with the local guy as he thinks it's me and not the gun. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
What ammo does it jam with?
I would try several other types before accepting that the gun is defective.
Does it run with FMJ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It jams with WinClean 230gr. BEB. I hadn't thought of trying other ammo because I thought these things fed everything. My fullsize .40 does. I will try some others and see. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what happens this weekend.

G

·
I have witnessed other USPs jam with balisticlean and longbow frangible ammo.
I would try some white box winchester ball and American Eagle ball.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
i have also had trouble with my .40 USP having occasional jams ( 1% to 2% ) It has been back to the factory X2 still no improvement. It jams ( failure to return to battery completly ) with all types of ammo ball and HP. The factory said I was probably limpwristing it. Funny I have no problem with my Sigs, Paras, Glock, Berratta and I am used to a J-frame .357
I have relagated it to the " fun Gun " status but woulod not mind sending it out if anyone knows a smith who does good work on HKs ( Even though it has this problem I still like the gun very much )

Regards

NukemJim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a barely used HK USP 45 at a gunshow last winter, and although fortunately, I've never experienced any jambs, the slide did fail to lock opon upon firing the last shot, a few times with a batch of PrecisionAmmo 230gr JHPs. Maybe the pin just needed a little extra lubrication. I've shot mostly 200gr ammo standard loads, along with a few 200 gr +P's with no problems. My single biggest problem has been poor aim, due to shooting too little, but it is improving. The HK is said to be very accurate.

What exactly is "limp wristing"? Is the same thing as flinching? I wonder if one's sexual orentation has bearing??? *LOL!* I've heard that Desert Eagles will jamb from flinching.
Fred

http://www.beyourowndetective.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll bet the failure to lock back might have something to do with a weak mag spring and/or bullet/case size.
for 185 grainers I like gold dots...they tend to penetrate a little more than the others and I like that in the lighter/faster 45s.
I carry winchester 230 grain whilte box jhp in mine because it is cheap, does about the same as the others, and I can practice more with it.
cheers,
Derek

G

·
Winchester's 230gr white box ammo is a very good choice and it performs quite effectively matching the 230gr Hydrashock for both expansion and penetration at a much lower cost.

If I were absolutely force to use a 185gr .45acp and had no other choice I would use either the Gold Dot or Hornandy XTP.

"limp wristing" is caused by a loose shooting grip or an unlocked wrist allowing the pistol itself to move back slightly when the action is unlocking allowing it to "short cycle" or not fully cycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.