Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit to not attending world class training events, there are none in our area! To maintain some level of reasonable gun skills I shoot or try to shoot at least 3 times a week. Two self training sessions are at a range where I shoot at paper bullseye style to maintain good stance, trigger control and accurate placement on target. My drill is to shoot at 60 feet, 40 feet, and rapid fire at 30 feet. I also shoot right and left handed drills at 25 to 30 feet. We are not allowed to draw from the holster at that range. I shoot 100 rounds each outing.
I try to shoot at a range where we can draw from the holster maybe once or twice each week. I have made good target stands and place them offset by 3 or four feet and behind the other by 3 feet or so. My goal is to establish a reasonable draw and accurate placement in the "A" part of the targets. Head shots are included. I shoot maybe 200 rounds each outing. I have found my shots to be sloppy the first 10 rounds or so. My grip on the gun is usually to tight when this happens. I also find that the right most target shows me shooting low and to the left until I slow down and go for accurate shot placement. My draw time is long, between shots may be long but I do the best I can with what I got. The other day it was about 90 to 100 out there and it wears you down pretty quick.... I would like to have the training many folks on the forum speak of but it is expensive and with travel may be out of the question.
The forum helps people who cannot train where they would like by giving them great information to help improve their shooting and equipment.
I do attend handgun classes local but they are more to keep our gun handling safe and to refresh procedures.
I welcome comments and ideas because there are many like me out there that would like the next level up of fine training to improve our skills.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
There is actually a bunch of professional trainng available in the LA area.

That said some of the best training can be done at home with a mirror and an electronic timer by doing dry fire drills.

A good timer is a cheap practice partner and the best IMO.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dane, I had hopes that with all the training folks out there others would join in! I do have a timer and use it when I shoot at an outdoors range. Not so much as to beat my times but to see where I stand. I have read the instruction booklet but cannot correlate how to use it for dry firing. Once again thanks for the response!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I use my timer with a set par time beep to beat the buzzer on drills.

I also do dry drills from the leather and at different targets in a 180 and 360 environment.

Simple things are good practice IMO.

Jim? Tom? Comments?

·
Registered
70 Posts
A good friend of mine made incredible progress in IDPA this year...everyone was asking him how much he shot over the winter...He probable shot less than 200 rounds this last winter...but he practiced dry fire with a timer every day. He went from placing regularaly in the middle of the group...to winning several matches already this spring.

Dane and David...what kind of timers do you guys use?

Thanks
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.