Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-08-20 16:06, Anthony Lombardo wrote:
PS-the Baer gun has so many sharp edges, I was almost afraid to shoot it ...LOL
Awwww, don't say that Anthony - I just ordered a Concept VIII, and decided against the "melt" package. I guess I'll have to do the Dremel Dance of Death on it myself, if they're that sharp.

Nice groups by the way. Good to know that they do shoot the way they are supposed to. What if they are really just 5 yd. groups, and they added an extra zero?!!! :eek:

Note - the above was a JOKE, and I have no reason to believe that any respectable manufacturer would try to falsify their accuracy claims - I hope. I'll let you know in 5 1/2 weeks when Mr. Baer finishes mine. :wink:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane,
Do your self a BIG, BIG favor, call up Les and get the "Tactical melt"

You and your holsters and your clothes and your hands will be happy.

Unmelted Baers are the sharpest guns around-almost useless if you ask me,,,,,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey, here's another one-holer.

Funny, seems like Les Baer tests their target at 50yds and Wilson at 15yds.

Now everybody show their own targets!

·
Registered
580 Posts
On 2001-08-21 01:55, FrancisB wrote:
Hi,

does anyone have a picture (or can provide feedback) of a Baer which has a tactical melt? How different is it from the normal configuration?

thanks in advance,
Francis
If the 4 yr. old Premier II I have is any indication of his current "Tac" De-horn, Les barely breaks the edges, there is no "melt" to it @ all. The only places on mine that even resembles rounding of corners is on the Bo-Mars. IMO, it is very functional and looks much better than the "Worn Soap Bar" Kimber Compact also have.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-08-21 08:42, Pistolero wrote:
IMO, it is very functional and looks much better than the "Worn Soap Bar" Kimber Compact also have.
Sorry I don't have a pic, but Baer does not de-horn his guns to that extent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted something similar over on the 1911foum.com location. It doesnt seem as if it would take any longer for them to do there function tests on a bench rest at 25 or 50 yards and have a sample target of their guarantee.

Techo

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wilson guns are hand fired off a bench at 15 yards, while Baers to my knowledge aren't fired for a group -at all- unless you purchase one with the 1.5" guarantee.

Most top-flight gunsmiths -KNOW-how good a tightly fitted gun is capable of shooting. Hence Wilson guarantees their guns to shoot 1.5" at 25 yards, and Baer guarantees theirs to shot 3" groups at 50 yards.

I doubt my 1.5" Baer really shoots 1.5" groups with every load, every day, every time. But it did it ONCE, in Illinois, at Baer's range and that is what I paid for.

Most Baers from bigger dealers come ordered from Baer with the tactical package. If your Bo-Mar is rounded, you DO have the tactical package, you just may not know it.

I originally ordered mine with the carry bevel, but the dealer screwed up. At the time I would have had to wait another few months and I decided not to wait-big mistake.

FWIW, neither gunsmith shop will tell you what load they guarantee your gun with.
I think if their guarntee is questioned, they will just shoot with a variety of loads until they make their guaranteed accuracy level.

Both guns shoot great, although for various reasons, I believe you just can't beat the Wilson after the optional addition of bullet-proof parts.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
These guys KNOW how these guns will shoot. They have made so many, with the same techniques, in the same place, from the same materials, with the same tools...they KNOW... I think the test targets are for the buyers...They have some loads they know are especially accurate. Doesn't it show a load used on the Wilson target? I think Mr Ed Brown only guarantees that his pistols will shoot within a certain amount that the AMMO is capable of...I think these guys have done the time and know they know how to build pistols and fit parts...consistently... :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was just looking at the Les Baer page and it says they can guarantee 1.5" at 50 yds on their 5 and 6" models if you pay $295.00 extra. I wonder what they do extra?

So is the Wilson CQB qorth $130.00 more than the Baer TRS? Or is it just personal preference?

techo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Look at the Les Bear Catalog, the TRS is the only 1911 that is not guaranteed to shoot any size group.

If anyone has one, how tight of groups does it shoot? I want to know, because I really want one :smile: TRS is a very nice looking pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 TRSs, they both shoot much better than I can and will most likely suit your needs unless you are world class bullseye competitor(as well as the entire LB line). Les told us at the TR Spec match @TR, he personally shoots all pistols from Ransom rest before they leave his shop. They don't leave til they do shoot as advertised. The really big thing is they go bang, everytime you press the trigger.
re: meltdown, if you like a true meltdown, buy a Kimber (been there, done that, now shoot Baers & Wilsons) or send your pistol to Jim Clarks shop. I have LB tac pkg on Concept 9, he breaks the sharp edges to save your clothes and holsters. It is clean w/o looking "mushy" but, that's why they make Fords & Chevy's so everybody has a choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thats just it, the Les Bear catalog does not give an advertised group size in their catalog for the TRS. They guarrantee all other pistols to shoot a certain group (from 2" to 3" depending on model) but dont even say what thier TRS is guaranteed at.

That is why I want to know.

plz let me know if any of you have put one in a Ransom rest.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ahhh...simple green...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glock_Racer on 2001-08-31 00:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think somewhere in Les's cataloge it states that EVERY Les Baer gun is guaranteed to shoot the 3"@50yards. I'm pretty sure I read that, look it over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I consistantly keep my groups under 4" at 25 yards. These are seven round groups fired offhand. My weapon of choice is a Safari Arms Big Duece. I am happy with these stats. Should I be?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-09-16 10:06, grayowl wrote:
I am happy with these stats. Should I be?
Are you really happy with this? If you are, then 7 rds. @ 25 yds. offhand is good, and short of Camp Perry, this will serve pretty much every situation you encounter.

Can you do better? That's up to you and your weapon. I have been able to shoot to the limit of some poorly fitted, yet otherwise reliable guns. 4" is about the best I could manintain. Now give me a quality gun, properly fitted, and I will not be able to outshoot the gun - but that's where the fun and challenge comes in.

The person holding the gun is responsible for 90% of the accuracy IMO. If your form and technique is good, and you can get 4" groups, you may surprise yourself if you get a gun with an 1 1/2" guarantee.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shane, I forgot to say that I am 67 years old, wear bifocals, and don't go to the range all that often. Also, I shoot cheap ammo. I don't think an inch and a half guarantee pistol would be much help, given my satisfaction with mediocrity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.