Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found two 100% Series 70 Gov't models (one in .38 Super and one in 9mm). Each is $695. I was wondering if the Series 70 would hold up to a lot of 9x23. Also, would either of these be a better route for a 9x23 than a SA. The price difference isn't a problem since I'd be getting the SA's frontstrap and dustcover cut down during the process, which makes the prices comparable.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't see why they wouldn't be an excellent choice. $695 for 100% Series 70 guns? Man, some guys get all the luck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I saw the photos of those two...be great for the rollmark..I think either would be fine. It would be nice if the breech face could be measured to make sure one or the other was not too far out of spec..You'll end up dumping most of the internals anyway, maybe even most of the small parts...If you got the super, at least you gain a magazine to use..good luck, wish I could pick up the other...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eerw, if we're talking about the same pistols, I wonder if that outfit would be willing to take a quick look at either pistol, just to see if they specced out all right. I'd be willing to pay a moderate fee for that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Buzz...my advice? Buy them both, send them to Dane, have him tell you which is best for the treatment...grease the other one and put it in the safe and forget you own it.

$695 is not a complete steal...but it is a very very good current price on pistols that are increasing in value. Wasn't that long ago that I walked away from 70's in 38 Super in the $400's range. Now look at them. Also, look at what is happening to *new* pistols from Kimber and SA...price keeps creeping up. Series 70's are known products to pistol folks. 10 years from now hard telling what the things will bring.

G

·
Buzz,
Either gun is a fine candidate for conversion.
The 9x23 conversion process is unbelievably simple, and using a .38Super is a conversion that can be done blindfolded (well almost anyway).... :smile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Buzz brother;

My 9X23 is in essence a series 80 .38Super that I picked up a Colt 9X23 barrel for. No ejection problems, though I did get a 24lb. recoil spriung, as the stcok spring sent brass FLYING. I swap barrels and recoil springs. No ejector probs - yet (?) I love it. I do know if you have the bug bad, you can buy the .38S and have it reamed to 9X23 and it won't take as much barrel metal out as reaming the 9X19. Then you can tell ME where to buy the other Colt . . . . :razz:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Those are no good at all...I want the address so as to chide the mean owner for attempting to take advantage of you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.