Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Stainless Series 80 Govmnt .45. I like the gun in 45, but I've always wanted one in 9mm. I've talked to two pistol smiths that I respect. One said, "Sure, everything you need is available from Brownells. I can have it up and running the day after the parts arrive. New top end and change the ejector and you're in business."
The second said, "Don't go there. It'll never be right.", and declined to do the work at any price.
I know that SA catalogs them, but frankly, I think that their over priced. What's the reality? I know that the 9mm is pretty uncommon in the 1911 platform. Who can do the work timely and reasonably?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The latest issue of Combat Handguns has an article on 9mm 1911s by Walt Rauch. If you hurry, the issue may still be on the newsstands. My copy is at work in my toolbox so I can't tell you what month or issue number it is. Sorry.

There's a picture of a Les Baer and a Dan Wesson on the cover. As I recall from the article, Walt discussed the virtues of converting to 9mm to save cash on ammo. I just skimmed it because I have no plans or interest in ruining a perfectly good gun. :grin:

Good luck!

Call of the wild.
Fear in your eyes,
It's later than you realized.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Of Wolf and Man on 2001-08-24 11:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
84 Posts
COMBAT HANDGUNS Sept 2001 issue page 99-101 BUT this article only applies to .38 super guns. I wouldn't want to depend on it for self-defense but if its just a range gun where a few bobbles and fmj can be tolerated it should be fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Took my 38 Super project pistol out today for it`s first shake down, put 30 rounds thru with 1 fail to feed on first mag. I used a light weight 45acp Commander frame, and an engraved 38 Super Commander top end.
Had to use a 38 Super slide stop, which is the only part I changed other than mags.
Sending the frame off now for a Cobra Coat job...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Each to their own but I do believe a 9mm can be had in 1911 using a Colt and parts from Brownell. I am under the impression this can be costly eventually, or if there are problems.

I must say I have a .38 super and the thing is superb. Reliable, great load, and fun to shoot. Not as pricy to shoot as the .45 and easier on young folks and woman who have an issue with larger firearms.

I have seen some Colt 9mm 1911's but they are a bit pricy. I let a friend of mine sell one years ago (didn't have the money at the time to buy it).

9mm is so damn cheap right now, but still look into a .38 super. Ideally do both!
I also read that article about the 9mm conversion in Combat Handguns. I don't remember it in great detail (doesn't it seem all your gun mags come in the same few days a month)but I remember finishing the article and going "yeah right, with all that hassle why bother"

Those are my two cents...

Lenny Bosh
http://www.bosh.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason for 9mm is simple. The last thing I need is another caliber to load. I already do 38/357,9mm,.45. I don't want a .40 or 9X21 or 9X23 or .38S.
In a perfect world, All platforms would be adapted to 9mm, GP-100, 1911, as well as Beretta 92X.
I'm sure that it can, it only takes lots of $s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.