Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick myself up a Benchmade folder in the near future.
The question is, should I go with a straight edge, or 50/50 serrations? And why?
I plan to use it for most general all around purposes.

G

·
Ken,
I usually pick serrations on my utility folders and straight edge on my "defensive folders", yes I carry two or more.

The reason is that the serrations make it easy to perform common cutting tasks like cutting rope, wire, and cords and I rarely need to use the blades full edge.

When it comes to my defensive knives I belive in using the blades edge design and geometry to my advantage and prefer to use a "full" blade.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I prefer 50/50 on my carry and general purpose knives. David mentioned the benefits. The only drawback is that some airport security staff frown on serrated blades, and you may get a bit more hassle if you plan on flying much.

Which Benchmade are you thinking of getting? I am thinking of getting a 722 in the near future.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is a bit of a morbid comment here, but here is my understanding of this choice. A serrated knife will indeed cut rope and seatbelts much better. As far a living things go - when the body had a jagged cut it knows to automatically seal up that vein or artery. A serrated knife causes this kind of cut. A plain blade causes a much more surgical cut, in turn the body does not readily recognize it and the blood keeps pumping out. Again, this is a morbid commentary, but if I do indeed have to cut someone it means they are actively trying to kill me and I can not run away. In that case I want them to bleed out quickly. I prefer a plain edge for this reason. Additionally, in some areas a serrated knife is illegal and a plain knife seldom is. Whatever you choose I hope you never have to use it for defense. Knives just plain scare the crap right out of me. I would much rather have someone shooting at me than swinging a knife at me. Good luck.
Jake

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Shane, I'm gonna get the 722 also :smile:

How's this for an idea? Maybe I'll get the 722 with 50/50 serrations, and also pick up a cheaper Delica plain edge, for use when I am flying/travelling (which isn't all that often)?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I normally carry either a Delica or my Benchmade Mini AFCK when I fly. I also (when I can remember) bring a small padded SASE with me. If security has a case of the ass and descides that they won't let my knfe through, I can just drop the knife in the envelope and mail it home.

So far I have had zero problems with plain and 50/50 Delicas or my 50/50 Mini AFCK.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-07-06 17:04, Ken Sham wrote:
Hey Shane, I'm gonna get the 722 also :smile:
Ken, if you're seriously going to get the 722 in the near future, let me know once you've got it in your hot little hands. I would appreciate your opinion of it before I get mine. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.