Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Govt. 1911.

I Would like hear from people that use Shok-Buffs. Do you recommend uisng them? What is your experience with them? Does your gun function well when using them?

If you do use them, which ones are you using and who has the best Shok-Buffs?

·
Registered
129 Posts
CP buffs are the best I know of, however they are on the thick side and will shorten the slide travel more than the thinner ones. having said that, I am now using the Cominolli Frame Saver guide rod that uses a double buff, one on each side of the flange. If its not called a flange, sorry, I dont have the word for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use shok buffs in all my 1911's including a Kimber Classic Stainless that was reworked by Clark Custom. I have never experienced a problem. I use Wilson Combat's shok buffs and there are several others that I can't remember the names of.

Shok buffs are cheap insurance against frame damage. Just check them when you clean your gun and if cut through or badly mashed just replace them. I shoot a lot of plus P ammo and my buffs usually need replacing at 250 rounds.

Long live the 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Wilson shok-buffs in both my Kimber Gold Match and Classic Stainless LE.
I have over 40,000 rounds through the Classic and 10,000 through the Gold Match with no problems. I clean my pistols every 500-600 rounds and replace them every second cleaning.
I wish there was a way to use them in my Ultra Carry to help protect the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
are there any shok-buffs available for the pro carry? i'm also worried about the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What possible damage can the shock-buffs prevent?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used them before but I don't now. Just my opinion but I don't feel shock-buffs really offered that much protection.

I just use a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring and seems to be all the protection I need. My father has a 1911 from the early 70's with about 600,000 rounds through it and the barrel has been replaced but the frame and slide are still going strong, all this using 16 lb recoil spring and no shock-buffs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shok-Buffs, in a carry 1911 are a bad idea. They shread, tear, break, whatever; not a good thing as 1911 does not run. The line I have never had one fail on me, is not good.
Murphy's Law of combat; things that have never caused problems will and under fire.

Change recoil springs regularly--every 3-5K rounds. This will help reduce wear/tear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On 2001-10-23 07:12, HipShot wrote:
Just got a Haarts recoil reducer for my Kimber CC. The instructions say not to use shok-buffs. Anybody know why?
Too much recoil reduction is a bad thing. Using shock buffs + a recoil reducing guide rod in a sub-standard-sized 1911 (CC) WILL create jams, misfeeds, and stovepipes, and I've heard stories of similar occurences with using ONLY the shock buffs. This isn't just with the haarts system, our (Sprinco USA) smaller 1911-framed units our the same way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use Wilson Shok-Buffs in my Custom Stainless Target. I have no problems at all and firmly beleive that they ar cheap insurance against frame damage. Don't know about everbody else but my pistol even feels better working with them installed. :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still don't understand the use of a shok-buff!!! The gun IS designed to be fired!!! The frame/slide ARE designed to function through THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of rounds! Do people really wear out a gun on a regular basis??? When I've ever heard of a frame/slide problem, it seems like the gun manufacturer has stood behind it's gun and repaired/replaced it.
Why not just shoot the gun as designed and not spend additional money on something that needs to be replaced every few hundred rounds in some cases??? Or why not just move up to a stronger spring if you feel like you need to improve their original specs??
What am I missing here???? I don't understand????

Thanks!!!

G

·
This is my first post here but I have had alot of experience with shok buffs. I have used them for years in competition guns but no longer use them in carry guns. On the advice of Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch I stopped carrying them due to the possibility that it could break and tie up the gun. I personally have never known of a gun "wearing out" or being damaged due to not using one.

Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
This "debate" seems to be composed of people choosing to believe that one thing (which one depends on the side you choose) that has happened to others before will happen to them; yet another that's roughly as likely to happen, will not. Either the shok-buff will cause a failure, or the frame will crack. One either chooses to reduce the likelihood of frame cracks by using a buff, which then increases the likelihood of the buff failing (over not using a buff), or they choose not to use a buff, which eliminates the possibility of the buff failing, but increases the likelihood of a frame crack.

Buffs can be tested; frames crack unpredictably. There's no way (that I've heard of, anyway) to prevent either problem from happening without increasing the possibility of the other. Therefore, it seems to make the most sense to me to test the buffs extensively, and if there are no problems found, use them. If they cause you problems, then don't.

George

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use them in my Para IPSC Limited gun along with a tungsten guide rod, BUT I do not use them on my Kimber CCW. I did decide to keep using a worn one to see what would happen and it seperated and caused the gun to JAM at about 1300 rounds of full 190 power factor ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.