Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the range today. I met a real nice guy there and he eventually invited me to shoot as his guest at a private range.

Here's my question: He gave me about a dozen reloads in 45. I don't reload, so I don't know how to evaluate them. Should I shoot them? Would you?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't feel comfortable shooting others reloads, nor do I offer my reloads to them. I may see the same guys every week shooting and sometimes they will offer reloads that have been around for awhile and want rid of. My guns and fungers cost to much money for me to place them at risk, at least that is my feeling on the matter. Example, my friend who lives near me and shoots often gave me some reloads to try and they jammed my 357. He didn't know it at the time but his reloading press had a problem and created a situation with high primers.
Reloaders are a careful bunch of people overall but sometimes stuff happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shooting someone else's reloads can have bad results even if they are a lifelong friend. They may have the sweatest loads around but accidents happen. Thay may have done all their homework and have found a very safe load. What if they were distracted for a moment during their reloading process and a double charge got by without being noticed. IF they shot it out of their gun and no one got hurt except for the gun, they have no one to blame except themselves. If you happen to shoot the round out of your pistol, is your friend going to offer to replace your pistol for you? I doubt it. A friend will understand when you say no thank you to their reloads. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If someone wants to try my guns, that is fine, but they use my loads. If someone wants to let me shoot their gun, I shoot their ammo, and that is usually when I know them and have observed them shoot those loads through their gun. Pretty conservative but it works. DougC

·
Registered
60 Posts
DougC:

"Pretty conservative.." Maybe. Pretty sensible? Absolutely.

Factory ammo or my reloads go in my guns, period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.