Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy's... Let me tell you... Like if you couldn't a guessed... Dane knows a thing or 3 about building a blaster... Geeezzzee

A neighbor of mine (small world, lives about a mile from my homestead here) who I happen to have gone to high school with some 20 years back, and played little league with about 30 years back just happened to show up out here some time back... Well... Rick had been around, but I noticed him lurking about, and we got in touch...

Anyways... So he gets in touch with me, and asks me if I am interested in burning up some ammo, and like who can resist an offer like that... :wink:

Well, after a few days of missing each other, we get our schedules coordinated last night, and make it out for a little range time, me, dragging my 9 year old grandson in tow... But, we'll get back to that in a minute or two.... :smile:

Anyway... Rick's been breakin' in this new BCP blaster (Pete's actually got his picture with her in the 'We be Training' thread) and working on getting this little beauty to do one of them 'John Cameron Swayze torture tests' (Takes a lickin', keeps on a tickin' :grin: Who wouldn't be...

Well... we meet up, and before departing, I get an opportunity to admire Dane's handywork, up close and personal like, for the first time... One word... Perfection!

I'd actually seen some really nice pics of this gun before up here, and on 'the other board', but holding in my hand, just elevates the level of appreciation to a higher level, the attention to detail was incredible! I am thinking I should probably arrange to help Rick do some clean-up, so I can see what this beauty looks like with her 'pants down' because the outsides, well, they were looking really nice, and I am betting the insides is nicer. Okay... To make a long story long :wink:

I was very impressed with the fit/finish of this baby... It's been a while since I held a gun that was this smooth... The slide on this puppy cycled like it was on Ball Bearings... No doubt, hand lapped, many hours of work must have gone into this Full House/Best Grade BCP, it was SWEET! This thing locks up tighter than bank vault.

The lockwork felt extremely positive, and that trigger was exactly how I would expect it to be, crisp, clean, and consistent.

While the sights were not regulated for my eye, they were exactly were I expected them to be, and this thing shot RIGHT to the point of aim. In fact, it was really easy to shoot well. I had little trouble making little ragged 1" holes on demand at 25ft. I was shooting some doubles and the shot-to-shot recovery was incredibly fast & simple, allowing me to put my follow-up shot into the the same hole at will, when I did my part. This gun is much better than I am, but is one that would make it easy to consistently shoot better than I do. It's entirely possible that I could shoot the IDPA classifier at Master with this gun. At least, it'd be fun trying :wink:

If I owned one of these, I would either end up Poor from spending buckets of money with Eric, the Ammoman, or I would be needing to upgrade from my Dillion 550, to the 1050, just to keep up with the demand of ammo... This thing is addictive :wink:

This pariticular BCP Blaster is one of the first Dane did with the Scallops. A few months back when I first saw the pics posted, I knew that I would like them, and would probably have to figure a way to get them on at least one of my guns, only problem is which one :wink: That is a dilemma I still face, but suffice to say, having shot them, I REALLY like them... Lotsa Traction, never a worry of losing the handle, and still able to reposition as needed...

I burned through close to 200 rounds with this puppy... What a treat! Rick, thanks for the invite, I had a blast with yer Blaster! We MUST get out and do this again, we'll bring out some more toys, and really make a day of it :wink:

Rick had an opportunity to shoot a few of my blasters while we were out... Rick had some trouble adjusting to the Kahr P9, it's just a different animal compared to the 1911, and one that takes a little time to acclimate to.

My LWT Commander is still acting up, and I need to spend some time to get it running smoothly, but I was happy that he enjoyed my Kimber. It's no BCP, but it's much better than what Kimber originally shipped, and it is something that I have the pride in knowing that I have done all the work on.

I'd probably be inclined to compare the Kimber and BCP to a Mustang GT or Cobra that I hotrodded, and a Full Tilt 2001 Saleen SR-351. My Kimber runs well, and shoots nice, but it ain't no BCP, and all the way around, Dane's gun was excellent, simply AWESOME! Dane just makes it too easy to wring out the performance of a 1911. For those who still has trouble understanding why anyone would spend 3x the money on something, that's the only way I can describe it, it's just easy to get the most out of this gun over a stock or mildly warmed over production gun.

One day, I need to look into getting me one of these... Guess I need to start saving my pennies :wink:

Oh, and the grandson... He got to shoot the Kahr, with some help from Grandpa (his first time out with a handgun), the smile on his face afterwards... simply PRICELESS!

When I think about getting something like a BCP, I know that it's an heirloom gun, that I will shoot, and that eventually, my grandson will be able to enjoy it. When that day comes, it'll be shooting as well, and as smoothly as it was when I first got it, and he will fondly remember our first time out... Nice legacy to leave, if I say so myself.... :wink:

Dane, nice work, Rick... Thanks Bud! I enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good write-up Jay-Dee...Love the part about the 9YO...I've got one myself!

Congrats on the BCP Break-In!

What a terrible chore to have to perform!
:wink:

Lucky You!

We should all get this chance!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Jaydee...glad to hear you had fun with the BCP, and even more glad to hear you took that youngster to the range! I guarantee he will remember it long after we are dead and gone. My grandpa did the same with me, at about the same age, and not only do I remember it well...it was the beginning of a life long love affair with guns of all types.

Thanks, you are doing your part to assure us of another generation of gun rights advocates, and safe shooters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't sugar coat it Jaydee..tell us what your really thought of that gun. :wink:

Kidding...thanks for the great write-up...I am anxious to see one of those in person too.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Thanks Jaydee :grin: Glad you liked Rick's pistola! It was AFAIK the very first full house gun delivered with scallops from either Hieine or I back in Dec. of 2000.

This is the old fella when he was a new BCP Blaster :grin:

I truly appreciate the comments and the next generation of shooters the two of you are encouraging.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Pic...

That's the animal, although she was looking a little more "matte black" around the muzzle last night when we wrapped up... Of course, nothing a little wipedown wouldn't cure... :grin:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Speaking of heirlooms, I think I've lost the
Burns Colt to my 13 year old daughter! She had a chance to shoot about 50 rounds thgough it last week end, and after locking the slide back, she turned to me and said
"dad, can this be my gun"? I of course said
"when I get old you can have it". She said
" dad, you're pretty old now, how long do I have to wait"? I told her I thought I heard her mother calling her! Now she wants me to send a commander to Dane! And I thought college was going to be expensive! :grin:
Lou

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Luigi you are such a push over....I will note that you never said "NO!". Now tell me why you want to carry a Commander, Luigi? I know you no longer "own" a 5" Colt :grin:

Women? Can't shoot them...can't live with them :roll: (just say "YES", Lou, that way the pain will be less)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have a better idea Lou :grin:

Just tell her she can have your Heinie gun...when it's done. She'll be able to own one by then.

:lol:

(can't wait to see the email this will invoke from Quincy in the moring)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-10 22:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
Good for the girl, Lou! :grin:

I have an 8 year old that is wearing out her Red Rider...so she can "...go deer hunting with dad when it gets cold.... " Bet your bottom there is gonna be a BB gun in my woods this winter, and I would have it no other way. :lol:

Good on you for shooting with your little girl Lou, makes me respect you all the more.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks Bruce, I've been taking her shooting since she was five. She made claim to a Mod 62A Winchester that I've had since I was a kid, and she also has staked her claim on a
S&W M-34 2" Kit gun that she loves to shoot.
The bad thing though is she absolutely loves to shoot .45's ! My wife too! I gotta make friends with someone at Federal, or this is gonna cost me a fortune!

Dane, Her 13th birthday is July 19th, maybe I can Dick to rush that gun to me for a birthday present for Alexandra! :grin:
Lou

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sounds like that little girl has a momma that is teaching her well, Lou. Taught her the difference between an old Mossberg and quality arms, real quick like. :smile:

My guess is, you toss that purty little bowie knife pictured elsewhere on the forum in as boot on top of some green stuff and Ol' Rupert will pull something out of his closet that would be just what the doctor ordered for that soon-to-be-teenager's upcoming birthday. :lol: I once owned some nice knives, then I met up with dazzlin' Dane....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys,

It was my pleasure to accompany JayDee and is grandson to the range. Brandon was so excited that he "hit the black all 3 shots!" I can't wait to take my boys for there first range session.

But they’re going to have to stick to my other 1911's and Glocks because I'm not giving up my BCP!

I'm sure glad I don't have daughters because I'm a sucker for a pretty face. You had no chance Lou.

The good thing about two boys though is that I must have a pair of BCP's one for each son. I think Dane & I have decided on a "wavy" two tone 9X23. I'll keep them real pretty for my boys.

Regards,

Rick Tucci

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Great idea Bruce...I'll trade ya any three BCPs for that fancy sixgun and the bowie, Lou :grin:

Have Alexander call me up and I'll build one just for her. One for the pretty lady who puts up with you and another just for you, Lou! Ya, that's the ticket three new BCP guns at the Alessi place!

My "second chair" lawyer can handle the details. Watch his ass though because he is still pissed about not getting that raffle gun. Make sure you get all three :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-11 00:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
849 Posts
Good thing she's in bed, and I ain't gonna let her read this tomorrow because I'll never hear the end of it. She relentless like her mother! Biggest mistake I ever made was allowing her to achieve a black belt in
Tae Kwon Do. Now, every time I say NO, she wants to fight me for the decision. I can still kick her ass though, :grin: but I got a feeling my days are numbered as she heads for her second degree.. :grin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny thing... Brandon's mom already laid claim to the LWT, and the Pre-Ban CAR and the Kimber is spoken for to... I told his mom that when she get's sworn, she can get her own LE type AR, much cheaper than the Pre-Ban... Currently, she is sporting a Glock 27, but she wants a Kahr Polymer after seeing mine...

Damn kids, they don't want tha house, or any of the Whole Life, Stocks, or Classic Cars where the money will be in a few years, they want the guns... and it's funny... No One is thinking about that 20-30's vintage Model 94 that my grandfather passed down to my dad, and then to me... :smile:

So... guess all they need now is a 'Done Date' knowing when I kick it, they can cash out, hope they're planning for a longggg wait, cause I am!

Lou... That's great... We'll get Brandon on the 1911 soon, but he's had one of the AR's out, and now the first Sidearm... His little brother is going on 5, and next in queue...

I really wanted to start him out with a Ruger Mark 2 Target, but the Kahr was easy...

Rick, I accompanied you... We burned up more of your ammo, than mine, but I am game for doing another 200-300 round session now , having rested up :grin: Let me know, I will tweak the fingers on the Main Spring for the LWT, and it should cure the reset issue on that trigger. For that matter, I got almost 750 rounds of USGI Ball, just need a can opener :wink:

Again... Thanks, it was a blast, but this time, I would like to work on blowing out the centers of my Shoot-N-See's, rather than rushing to produce a high round count for the "Swayze Test" :wink: Once I 'Spotted' the cardboard, and made little black donuts, we were on it, but fatigue had set in, and sloppiness was close at hand.

Anyway... For all those with Kids/Grandkids, looking for the Handmedowns... Think Norinco :grin:

Ahhhh.... Perpetuating the breed of RKBA supporters... Rosie O would be proud :grin:

·
Registered
988 Posts
No Dane, not pissed...more like a butt-shot Cape Buffalo with a photographic memory of the piss-ant that pulled the trigger :grin: In other words, happy happy all the time.

As broker of this deal, by rights, the Alessi SAA should come to me. I can see it now, walking around some local cowboy action shoots with my engraved machine...nub of a ceegar between my teeth...just waitin' for somebody to make a move.... :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.