Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recalled the info in the FBI/Miami shootout and the fact that one of the agents (very likely the best shot in the team) had lost his glasses and probably could not engage Platt and Matix as effectively.

How many of you eyeglass wearers practice shooting without your glasses also? I wear glasses but my vision is not quite so bad that I can't hit a target within 25 yards without them. For those of you who's vision is much worse, have you guys thought about this? If so, do you wear a strap so that your glasses won't get lost or do you have you chosen other ways to deal with this?

I'd also like to hear from our non eyeglass wearers and their thoughts on this.

G

·
I too can't see anything at 25 yards without my glasses. I try to practice a few times a year shooting at 5-10 yards without my glasses using clear safety glasses, on the hunch that if I got into a fight, my glasses would get knocked off my head no matter what kind of strap I had on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
actually (a sad commentary) I shoot as well with my bi-focals on as with them off. Either way the front sight is not sharp unless I bend my neck into a very uncomfortable position. Last qualification did fine even at 50 yards with the .45ACP pistol.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: evanmarshall on 2001-07-15 09:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm not sure what they did to my latest pair. I hadn't changed the prescription in 20 or so years...(hint,hint)...This pair is like binoculars. I almost fell over the first few steps with these...I DID notice my front sight is in focus! Scary for some stuff, but helps me to see a bit of the "right stuff"... :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a tip for the bifocal/trifocal glasses wearing folks:

I complained to my optometrist about the narrow vertical band of focus provided by these glasses. He manipulated the glasses to provide what he called a "pan optic tilt". He bent the frame to depress the lenses down about 5 to 10 degrees. This does work to widen the narrow vertical band of sharp focus.

If you try this, I think you'll find you'll require a bit less 'head-bobbing' to bring the sights into sharp focus - and hopefully find sharp focus faster when presenting the gun.

If it doesn't work for you - bend 'em back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.