Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been asked before but in my quick search, I couldn't find it. I'm thinking of getting a compact .45 (non 1911), either a G36 or a HK compact. I was wondering if I should be concerned about reduced velocity. I've heard arguments for and against. The plan is to shoot 230 gr hollowpoints, so that I can practice with the copious amounts of cheap hardball.

·
Registered
30 Posts
see http://greent.com/40Page

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force;never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Churchill

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stanmog on 2001-09-14 13:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
In bare gelatin 230gr JHPs fired from ultra-compact handguns seem to perform well. In clothed/denim covered gelatin 230gr JHPs frequently underexpand or fail to expand.

In my opinion an ultra-compact .40 caliber handgun is a better choice because it is a cartridge that operates at higher pressure, which allows faster velocities that in turn produce more reliable expansion performance.

G

·
I would not worry about it all, the 9mm and the .45 are very forgiving of short barrel lengths.

When we are discussing the .45 jhp you are already shooting a .45 caliber semi-flat nosed projectile into living tissues.
This profile is what the "death ray" 99.9999% super poisonous .357 Magnum that kills peple just by touching them becomes wwhen fired into living tissues, sometimes slightly more and often substantially less.

Once the round has enough velocity to penetrate the skin and muscle tissues the rest of the velocity is really an after thought, if the round fragments and fails before reaching the intended organs/tissues then you have a problem.

Beyond that the rest of the discussion is really academic, if you need to use the round and you aim well you hit the intended target and they keep coming keep shooting until they fall down dead.
I guarantee you that your assailant intent on killing you is not worried about what caliber your gun is, what platform, and what your bullet does to denim covered ballistic gelatin.

Not a flaming post, mostly tongue in cheek...
Use what you like and what works for you that is important.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No flames observed, David. You make a lot of sense. I've always been a fan of energy, penetration, and expansion/bullet size in reasonable amounts (since I can't hack a .44 mag), with the emphasis on shot placement. Based on events of the last few days and some nasty predictions for the future, I was just thinking of upgrading from the usual 9mm to something a little more . . . emotionally reassuring. Maybe I need to get that Delta Elite worked on and ready to roll.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, rather than ask such a broad question, maybe I'll be a bit more specific. Since I tend to like the Ranger T in my 9mm. I was leaning toward that in the 3.5" .45. However looking at the velocities for the different barrells, I'm thinking the Ranger SXT with 100fps over the T might be a better choice? If I could only get the T in the +P.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I rather tend toward Mr Dodson's position in subcompacts, however, I do think it is splitting hairs. If you will brave the recoil and can find them, Mr DiFabio's tests show the Win Ranger-T 230gr +P+ a real winner, and the ProLoad/Black Hills Gold Dot 230gr +P right at its heels. For std. velocity, I have heard good things about 230gr Gold Dots... they are what are sitting in my old Springfield Compact at the moment.

G

·
jrf,
Try the 230gr +P GD loads they will do everything the Ranger T does with the exception of the added cutting function.

Also, the 200gr +P "new" GD bullet from Speer is very good from shorter barreled guns.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Glad you like my Delta Elite... it's at BCP getting a new AFTEC extractor & I'll be shooting it again in a few days. Depending, that is, on how much Dane feels he needs to "test fire" it. :grin:

I had a Glock 36... very very reliable gun but I could never get the hang of shooting it well even though the gun itself was accurate. And I *LIKE* Glocks! It gobbled up Pro Load 200gr +P Gold Dots and Hornady 200gr XTP +P with no problems. Recoil was surprisingly reasonable for such a small, light gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Wow, not as bad as I thought it would be. I wonder why there is such a big stir about using the short barrel .45acp?"

Hello all

This topic caught my eye because I just finished a chronograph session using my Kimber .45 and a friends H&K USP compact .45. The web page posted earlier showed only a 50fps average difference between the full size and compact barrels.......based on what I saw today this is correct BUT ONLY WITH CERTAIN KINDS OF AMMO.

I can back this up with shot-by-shot chrono readings if anyone is interested, but I found that the average velocity of Sellier and Bellot 230 gr hardball dropped by 172 feet per second between the two guns. On the other hand, a load of 4.5 grains of WST with a Remington 230 gr jacketed round nose bullet only dropped 52 feet per second when chrono'd in both guns.

The compact .45's are fun to shoot and easy to carry, but I would strongly suggest chrono testing any load you plan to carry so that you know exactly what your gun is going to do.

Len in Phoenix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.