Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any LEO's using sidesaddle shot shell carriers for the Benelli M1 Super 90 shotguns? We have the Benelli's with the 14" entry barrels and have been advised against using them because they supposedly throw off the balance of the gun, preventing it from cycling properly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Buck Savage on 2001-09-23 09:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sorry Buck, I do not use them, and I do not know any teams that do either.

I am curious as to who told you about the "balance" part? That just doesn't make sense.

The Benelli M12 will function at all angles, even upside down, so I don't see how hanging a few spare shotshells on the side will do anything.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-09-24 18:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe we heard this at a Benelli Instr. Course from one of the students, but I cant remember. Cleveland PD had some problems with fore end lights, also throwing off the balance. We have dispelled this myth, as we have two fore end lights and they work fine with standard buckshot and slugs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do know teams that have mounted Side Saddles to their Benellis, some successfully with no problems, and others which caused the agency to give up on either the gun or the accessory.

With Side Saddles the two most common problems are that the screws which attach it to the aluminum receiver are over-tightened, causing the receiver to deform and impede bolt travel or, that the Side Saddle when loaded adds weight to the 'balance' of the gun reducing the inertia generated in recoil to function the bolt. This same problem can be experienced when the Sure Fire light fore end is mounted.

Some times changing springs can be the fix, other times using full power magnum loads exclusively can be the fix, but sometimes there is no fix. YMMV

Shane: Have you tried firing your Benelli with the buttstock against a fixed, non-moveable object? If not and you are curious, try that. Generally, you'll find that they won't cycle after that first shot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKN on 2001-09-25 03:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
In a recent Benelli Armorer School, the instructor told us that adding more than 500 grams of weight to the shotgun anywhere forward of the stock MAY cause cycling problems. Some guns seem to have problems with the side saddle and some don't.

Since I have a light mount, I didn't want to chance the additional weight. I use a Blackhawk buttstock shell carrier.

·
Registered
283 Posts
OTOH, you could just switch to a Vang or SGT 11-87. This would enable utilization of the SureFire forend and sidesaddle with no lingering "maybes" - and give both your shoulder and the personal/dept. budget a break.:grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do any you Benelli armorers know if this also applies to the M3? I know the recoil system in semi-auto mode is different. The recoil spring on the M3 is on the mag tube.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
150 Posts
Andy,
Why do you say that about the recoil? After having shot an 870 duty gun for years and switching to a Benelli...it was night and day. Comparatively, the Benelli shoots like a .22LR.

The 11-87 must feel like an airgun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not a LEO, but have thousands of rounds through a Benelli M1 S-90 with side saddle attached and the added weight up front of a custom (steel) extension tube. As previously noted, the sidesaddle bolt must be snug fit only and not over tightened. Use blue Locktight on the nut.

Reliability on mine is excellent. This is mostly with the reduced recoil slugs and LE Federal Tactical Buck (LE132 00). I generally load 8+2, which puts a lot of weight in the gun, also. It even functions fine in this mode on the skeet range with light 2 3/4 dram 1 ounce reloads. The inertia system does require some movement to set up the bolt, but I have never noticed a FTF while shooting prone or braced on or against a barricade.

We have one newer Benelli at the club that required the Wolf reduced power recoil spring to function properly with the reduced recoil stuff. It had this problem brand new out of the box. [I suspect the newer guns may be set up at the factory for hotter loads than they used to be.]

I've seen more problems with the Remington Gas guns than the Benelli’s - (I've owned both and shot 'em a lot). Regardless of the Brand, if it functions 100%, keep it. As I’m sure you know, even an 870 becomes unreliable if you short stroke it (been there done that).

Recoil on the Benelli S-90 is not a problem –this rumor is akin to p*n*s envy from the gas-gun owners! :grin: Even if it was, it would be a nice trade-off for a lighter, quicker firearm. JMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.