Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type ammo (slugs and/or buckshot) do you carry in your defensive shotgun, and why? For LEO's, do you have a policy on ammo to carry in your duty shotgun, or is it left up to the officer?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I highly recommend Remington's 8 pellet reduced recoil. It patterns a lot tighter that most loads due to the way the pellets are stacked in the shot cup. Improvement is close to 20% or better, even in cylinder bore guns. Our department changed over several years ago and we really like it.
Rob

·
Registered
226 Posts
Shot gun ammo

We issue Winchester unplated 000 and 1 oz slugs (the 1600 fps load). Our officers have the option of going to either the Rem reduced recoil or Fed tactical buck, no smaller than 00. Federal tactical slugs are also approved. I use the Winchester issued ammo but carry lots of extras. Same at home.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rob Garrett said:
I highly recommend Remington's 8 pellet reduced recoil. It patterns a lot tighter that most loads due to the way the pellets are stacked in the shot cup. Improvement is close to 20% or better, even in cylinder bore guns. Our department changed over several years ago and we really like it.
Rob
-------------------------------------------

Rob Garrett is correct about the reduced load.

There was a fella out at our 3-gun fun match and shot a very tight group using a 18" Rem Mariner (?) cly bore on a hostage stage and he was swamped and was handing out shells as fast as he could. I must say I was mighty impressed with the results of this ammo from many different bbl lengths and chokes.

For home defense becasue I have people all over the house I use a light 7 1/2 load. Yet I perfer OOO buck when things may get bad and longer ranges.

sb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.