Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I traded for a like new 220. I had never owned a Sig before this one but have some range time with 220's, 226's and 228's. What a great pistol! Accurate, comfortable, and easy to shoot. Almost makes me want to give up my 1911!

· Registered
160 Posts
Rob:

Picked up a Sig P-220 on home leave when I arrived in Miami in the late-eighties to have something to put in waistband for travelling around until I could pick up one of 1911 pistols. After range firing it, I never did replace it for that home leave and a couple of others.

One of few pieces I'd trust to take out of the box, clean it, and carry without having to worry about modifications. Put on a grossly ugly set of Hogue rosewood stocks (probably NOT an enhancement over the factory plastic, but just never got around to pulling them off), and have been pleased with it ever since.

Not a real pride of ownership piece, but rugged and reliable. Bore axis is a little higher over the hand than is optimal in my opinion, but it's a real shooter. Super weapon to carry in an environment where one might have to leave it if one had access to ammunition.

Wouldn't choose it over one of my 1911 pistols if it were just a matter of carrying what I wanted, but if a DA auto is mandated and the 45 round is acceptible, I prefer it to any other DA 45 on the market--not to mention over a DA 9mm or 10 IF ammo is available. (AND it feels like a pocket pistol cf the H&K SOCOM piece.)

Cheers....

· Registered
14 Posts
My first Sig was a P220. Sold it off after picking up my 229, figured it was redundant. I know exactly where it is and have made several attempts at repurchase, but he's not budging (the bastard). I realise my error and am waiting for an opportunity to get a P220ST.

· Registered
53 Posts
let me start off by saying I like SIG's alot, but we have had problems with our P220's. My gun shot 1 1/2 foot low and nine inches right out of the box at 50 yards! I've seen new guns fail to feed hard ball out of the box. Add cracked frames and the need to have 3 sets of parts since SIG has changed the dimensions of the parts and I'm dismayed. I carried a P239 until I recently went back to a 1911 (Wilson CQB). It had proven totally reliable and easy to conceal. Carried a P226 for quite a while too.

I would buy another personal P220 (mine was totally reliable, but a friend who's a criminal justice major and dispatcher for his university's public safety dept wanted one because that's their carry gun so I sold it to him), but we're keep hearing were going to Glock M22 .40's.

· Registered
160 Posts
Mr. Marshall,

Have been partial to your writing ever since you allowed your partiality to the Smith 58's--though that's been a while back.

Interesting observations about your SIG experiences. All I've personally owned is a 229 in 9mm and the 220. Have heard tales of cracked slides and frames but have never seen one. Can't say as I've carried either of my SIGs under really adverse conditions, but both of mine shoot close to POA w/ 230-gr HydraShoks, make more than acceptable groups (though not like my 1911 pistols).

I think if I ever end up with another 220, though, I'll surely look for a similar early production piece. Lucked out on a deal for 229 mags in Europe and a closeout on Pachmayr SS 220 mags so I've surely got a lifetime supply of mags that have proved reliable.

· Registered
160 Posts
Mr. Marshall,

Have been partial to your writing ever since you allowed your partiality to the Smith 58's--though that's been a while back.

Interesting observations about your SIG experiences. All I've personally owned is a 229 in 9mm and the 220. Have heard tales of cracked slides and frames but have never seen one. Can't say as I've carried either of my SIGs under really adverse conditions, but both of mine shoot close to POA w/ 230-gr HydraShoks, make more than acceptable groups (though not like my 1911 pistols).

I think if I ever end up with another 220, though, I'll surely look for a similar early production piece. Lucked out on a deal for 229 mags in Europe and a closeout on Pachmayr SS 220 mags so I've surely got a lifetime supply of mags that have proved reliable.

· Registered
160 Posts
Apologies for the lack of trigger control 'Puter fired a burst of two 'fore I could stop it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 256M-S on 2001-07-25 00:41 ]</font>

· Registered
64 Posts
I only shoot a rental Sig 220, that was a subjet of a lot of abuse (even the owners of the range couldn't tell the number of round this specimen have, but i think it was more than 100.000). Obviously the gun finally broke, but was the most accurate pistol i ever shoot, at least in single action ( i don't shoot 1911 models, so don't blame me on this).

· Registered
53 Posts
256MS-and everyone else-it's Evan not Mr Marshall, ok? I feel old enough these days w/o being called "Mr.".

I really would like to hear if any other P220 owners have had problems. I like the gun and if I could get a firm answer as to whether or not we're going to keep it or switch to Glock 22's I'd buy one or the other so I could practice on my own time before the next recruit class starts and I'm sucked into recruit firearms training again.

· Registered
166 Posts
Evan,

Perhaps not a long term indicator, but I have a P220 with approximately 3K rounds through it with no evidence of cracked frame or FTF 230 grain hardball. Very accurate gun as well.

BTW, this is a later serial # gun after frame redesign, and identified by green recoil spring.

· Registered
160 Posts
Dunno, seems everyone who opts to badmouth a piece has "owned or seen one come apart" in some way or another. I've shot my SIG less than any other autoloader because I was in an environment where ammo resupply dictated a 357 revolver during most of the time I owned it and it remained stateside. Never had any problems within my circle of friends.

Have a lot of acquaintances that are sold on Glocks. Personally, I don't like the overall feel, detest the Glock triggers I've handled, and am not ready to accept plastic parts on a personally procured weapon.

Think enough of my SIGs to pass on the 220 to a son in LE whose department uses DA 45's if it's acceptable under their regs.

· Registered
53 Posts
I'm not bad mouthing the gun-I certainly prefer the SIG to any Glock but I'd be dishonest if I ignored the problems were having. I simply raised the issue to see if the real problems we're actually having are isolated or part of a bigger problem. My issue P220 has worked just fine once the sights were adjusted radically.

G

·
FWIW,
six years ago I blew the slide almost completely off of a P220 shooting early .45 Super/Max ammo and hit a double charge.
The slide went well up into and through the magazine well, some of the parts disapperaed literally..

The gun was a complete wreck, even the trigger guard cracked.
I took it to my dealer to show him how much I liked ( :wink: ) the latest batch of Super loads.
It was also a testament to show how tough the gun really was as I was completely unharmed (scored/scorched slightly) but otherwise fine.

He asked to hold onto to it to let some of the other more intelligent customers look at it.
About five weeks later I recived a call from him as the Sig rep had come into the store saw the P220 and they offered to give me a coupon for a new one and asked if they could keep the old one for testing/analysis.
Either way they said I could keep the coupon.

I was stunned that they gave me a new gun as it was admittedly well beyond any hope to explain away the "blown up" pistol and I knew I had caused the failure with approx. 3x the cup pressure limit that the .45acp. alloy Sig was designed for.

A QA person from Sig later called me and asked if I had any of the fired brass as they wanted to examine them.

I used the coupon and purchased a new nickeled P220 and have never forgotten Sig and the way they stood behind thier product even when I was clearly at fault.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-26 20:19 ]</font>

· Registered
244 Posts
Looooong time ago I talked to some DOE guys who loved their 220s, but did admit there were problems with magazines and some guns failing to feed the Rem 185 JHP (this was about 89 or so); they switched to ball ammo IIRC. Know an AZ trooper who had the slide (not frame) crack on his.

Baltimore County PD cracked slides/frames on about 50 226s. They aren't as durable as some steel/polymer frame guns, but seem to be as good/better as any other alloy frame gun. I know a guy who claimed over 65K through his 220/45.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello. This goes back a ways, but around 1992-93 my agency had a lot of problems with the 220. The only authorized .45's at that time were the Sig P220 and the S&W 645. Most of us big bore fans carried the 220. Agency-wide (2500 strong then), we started to experience failures of the slide to return to battery after the gun had about 1200 rounds through it. The problem was widespread enough to generate a world-wide teletype advising offices to look out for and report similar difficulties. We'd had such good experiences with the 220 that we (including myself) believed that the gun itself could not be at fault. We swapped out magazines, mag springs, recoil springs, and even tried different ammo to no avail. Upon closer inspection, we discovered that the breech block, which was pinned in place, was separating from the slide. I personally experienced this on three separate occasions with two different P220's. Sig was great about replacing the slides (I had two replaced on one gun alone and they even replaced the slide on another which had been customized). However, we never received any admission or explanation from Sig as to the exact nature of the problem. Not all 220 users experienced the problem. Within a couple of years, the 220's underwent a very subtle design change, opting among other things for the rounded hammer of the 226 in lieu of the older spur-type hammer. We haven't seen a resurgence of the problems since. However, my confidence in the 220 was shaken. Combined with the need to add night sights and K-Kote finish for duty carry --- adding a couple of hundred dollars to an already over-priced gun --- was more than my wallet could bear. Too bad, 'cuz that was the finest shooting double action pistol I ever carried, especially the one that had the trigger job by TJ. Oh well!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.