Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Sig 229 in 357 sig. What are your guys thoughts on this round. Also, how does this gun stand up to other guns that are chambered for the 357 Sig.

Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
77 Posts
i cant really speak for the 229 but i do have a glock 31, as for the round i think it is great, basically a 9 on steroids. the bottle nose design nearly eliminates feed problems. we had a shooting incident in my departmen where the officer was required to shoot back thru the windshield of his unit, he was shooting a 9mm and two rounds failed to go thru the glass, i took my .357sig to a salvage yard and talked the guy into letting me shoot up a car(it was kinda fun)for reference purposes. the .357 rounds wen thru the windshield thru the front seat and thru the back seat and lodged in a piece of steel in the trunk. this long story was basically to say the round has good penetration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Helluva combination, one of the greatest guns ever built and one of the finest rounds ever created. The 229 fits my hand better than any other gun I've held. It has never had a failure despite two different barrels (357 & 40) and my experimentation with four different recoil springs. The 357sig is powerful, accurate and reliable. It does have quite a muzzle blast, I'd rather not have to shoot it indoors. But inspite of the blast, it may be quicker back on target for a second shot than the .40, at least with the heavier spring. Do I sound like a fan?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been to the range with P229_357Sig and he is absolutely correct on all counts. I am a HK man myself but it is back on target faster with the heavier recoil spring than my HK-Usp40. Not much, but noticable. If I had not been having a tawdry affair with the HK I would have fallen for the Sig229.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 229 is a great pistol. It is a bit more accurate in .357 Sig then in .40S&W and that is with an Olympic Arms .357 Sig barrel vs the stock Sig .40S&W barrel.

I do kinda like my G32 more then the P229, a bit more concealable (not as tall) and a scooch more barrel length. But either pistol in .357 Sig is plenty of compact firepower!

Derek

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also recomend the Sig 229. Mine was born as a 40, but later i add a sig 357 barrel. I didn't change the spring, just the barrel, and never have any problem. Actually i am using a Glock 32, but just because i own to many Glocks and i prefer to use myself to one type of trigger only. I really like the 357 sig. The recoil from the Glock 32, is a bit sharp, but nothing you can master with a little practice. Just back in target faster. The Sig is a more easy to shoot faster because it's heavier than the Glock.
You can´t go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got back from the range where I did some shooting with my 229. Used the 357sig barrel and a 21# recoil spring. Ammo was UMC 125gr FMC. This stuff is fantastic. Shot right to point of aim and grouped around 2" at 25 yards. Got to find a case of this ammo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thanks for all of the info. I purchased a new 229 in 357 last night. I will let you know how it shoots after my 10 day wait.

Thanks again, Jack

·
Registered
580 Posts
The 229 is Great. Enjoy! FYI, Be aware that you can use the same mags for both .357S & .40.
OEM .40 Sig bbl's. can be had for $100-120.
See "Accessories" @:
http://rguns.net/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are the Delta Elites hard to find? I sold one off about 10 years ago and haven't really thought about it since. As I remember, it was thought they weren't strong enough for the 10mm round, so I dumped mine. Did I have something special?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey JackB,
Yes, I do! But not for sale right now -- waiting for the right trade (hint). Just kidding, I know you'll probably hang on to that Burns, but if you decide to sell, you know who to call. Did you shoot it yet?

I KNEW you'd love the Hoag! Did you shoot it yet? If everyone knew how great they shot, more would do the bushing thing (kind of a cool little secret we know about huh)!

To SIG229,
Delta Elites are not impossible to find, but are harder and harder to come by. JackB will have the most trouble because they're not on CA approved list and will need to find PPT (private party transfer) to do it. Glad I have mine -- great round!

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 357 seems to be doing OK; not as well as the 40 did its first few yrs, but better than the 10mm did, especially in LE sales.

In gel after auto glass:

125/357S GD 13/.55

230/45 GD 11/.65
230/45 HS 12.8/.61
230/45 GS 12.1/.58
185/45 GS 13.3/.55

165/40 GS 12.5/.51
180/40 GS 13.3/.50
165/40 HS 13.7/.52

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a Sig 229 in 357sig after looking and not finding an H&K compact in 357sig.

Sig is excellent overall weapon, 357sig round is a good one. Ammo is pricey, so i have not shot this weapon as much as i'd like to.

From what i've shot thru it so far, it was very accurate, recoil was not that bad. The deputies carry Glock 31's where i live. They had some problems adjusting to the Glock, but all of them liked the 357sig round.

I've been trying to find some Gold Dots around where i live, from what i've heard and read, there the cats meow, for this cartridge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!
i have got the 229 in 357sig and i am realy happy with that gun. It is very accurate and there i had never problems with it. I shot at a boarskull 3m distance with 125gr speer jsp and the brain and the neck were like mud... In my oppinion that caliber is the best combinatin of stopping power,precision,penetration and firepower cause the 357sig is usable in compact pistols.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.