Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your handgun has dovetailed front and rear FIXED sights, which do you move for windage adjustments?

I have always moved the rear sight to the left or right, but lately, I am seeing a lot of guys drift their front sight for windage corrections.

Is there an advantage to drifting the front sight? :???:

· Registered
383 Posts
Not too sure about this one. I always drift the rear. If you drift the front to any real extent, you might have some problems with the sight groove in the holster. Well, thats my initial take on it anyway.

Also , it seems easier to do damage to a front while drifting it rather than a rear. Not a lot of area to absorb the impact, and who really has those fancy adjustment gizmos anyway? Some, like the LesBaer fronts are even pinned in place.

It's a lot easier to put screws for locking down the rear than the front. Seems to me , a tight fitted front is the way to go, with a driftable rear. Set the front on the barrel centerline and locktite it in, make the rear loose enough to be drifted with a nylon punch, and your set in my book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.