Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran 100 rounds of Silver Bear 115 grain Mak HPs through both of my Circle 10 maks the other day. So far this is the only loading either of these voracious pistols have ever choked on. I had a total of twelve FTF's between the two. Every one hung up on the feedramp. In each case all that was needed was a gentle nudge with my thumb to return the pistol to battery. I didn't have the forsesight to measure the cartridge oal before heading to the range. Accuracy at 25 yards was adequate but grouped aproxx. 8" high. At 15yds groups were centered and reasonably tight.
Recoil was fairly snappy but by no means too much.

I just love this fine little pistol!!

I still want one in 9mm Para. 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
uncleBS,
I believe the Silver Bear is a 120 gr bullet. I chronographed some last week and they averaged 978 fps.

They vary a lot in length. Some are so long that they hang up in the magazine. I had bought three boxes. I have taken the last box and have run the longest rounds through my seater so that they are the length of the shortest rounds. I haven't fired them yet.

I think the SB would be a good SD round in the MAK, but it also think they are just too much trouble.

Jerry

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know but, I'm fairly certain the box was marked 115 gr.
I trashed them on the way from the range. I'll pick up another box when I get the chance. If it is marked 115 gr I'll post a pic. I thought 115 was pretty heavy for that little case, 120 is even more impressive. I agree I thought they might make a great defense round. This is the only loading that has ever jammed, even, slightly, in either one of my Circle 10's.

No apparent magazine troubles, they hung just enough to stop on the feedramp. A gently nudge with my thumb was enough to clear the stoppage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry M

Sorry I don't know what I am talking about.
The ammo I was talking about is "Brown Bear" made in russia
115 jhp. The markings on the box indicate LVE, like the old " Green Box"
Novosibirsk loads. :lol:

I want a 9mmPara Makarov :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
For whatever the value, I didn't like the "snappy" recoil so I insstalled a 21# recoil spring. Later, I ran a box of Silver Bear HP 120g and some left over Wolf. A whole lot better. Makarov.com has the springs 15-17-19-21#.

Target-wise I did pretty good at 7 yds - about the same @ 15 yds. All ovber the board @ 25. My Bulgie has such a short front sight that I have trouble notching it. I found that holding at its base works a bit better, but I need a whole lot more experience @ 25 yds to close the groups. But then, a Mak is a close-in weapon, right?

2 cents.

-Andy

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also use the Wolf extra power recoil spring. I have yet to have a problem using it even with some of the milder factory loads.

My circle 10's are dinner plate accurate at 25 yds in my hands. Not bad at all in my opinion. I don't claim to shoot 1"-2" groups with any of my handguns. They both close up significantly at 15 and closer. I have also concluded that the Makarov is fairly "close in weapon".

Great little pistol....I am feeling the urge for another, maybe an EG this time.

I recently ran another 100 rounds of Brown Bear through both of them. Same springs, same magazine etc., etc..... . This time a few almost jammed up but not quite. The slide just sort of hesitated then went into battery. Different lots? Quality control? Hell when I run out of my supply of non jamming Barnauls the next case I buy may jam worse than these BB's. Hard to tell. I just seems like this russian stuff is iffy at best!

No flames please! I was just sharing my opinion..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard that there are three different Russian outfits producing ammo under "Wolf". If so, this could easily account for "unQuality Control".

(Now the "insidious mind kicks in: Is it possible that flooding the US market with garbage ammo might be a precursor? Hmmm..... :evil:

-Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just picked up two boxes of the Silver Bear 115g JHP's. Fired off one box the other day, no failures of any kind; very accurate. Mine likes them!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have some Silver Bear 120 JHP rounds, and my Bulgarian Mak does not like them at the top of the magazine. They hang up on the feed ramp EVERY time. To get them to feed, I have to tap the bottom of the magazine.

Anyone have any suggestions??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never mind. I just fixed it. It's amazing what you can do with a Dremel tool, a felt polishing tip and some polishing compound. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Silver Bear is "internet rumored" to be inconsistant in quality, size and ballistics......

In my own experience its the only ammo Ive had that has locked up guns (barrel/slide/frame) by overexpanding in the chamber, locking in place and thus........not being very nice to me.

My recommendation is use Barnaul.

Shoot well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Eric Larsen said:
Silver Bear is "internet rumored" to be inconsistant in quality, size and ballistics......

In my own experience its the only ammo Ive had that has locked up guns (barrel/slide/frame) by overexpanding in the chamber, locking in place and thus........not being very nice to me.

My recommendation is use Barnaul.

Shoot well.
What about Wolf ammo? I've heard conflicting stories on that ammo as well. In several different calibers too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Al Lowe said:
I have some Silver Bear 120 JHP rounds, and my Bulgarian Mak does not like them at the top of the magazine. They hang up on the feed ramp EVERY time. To get them to feed, I have to tap the bottom of the magazine.

As simple as it may sound, my suggestion is that if the ammo don't work, DON'T USE IT!
The Maks are all designed to function reliably around a 95 gr FMJ round. There are several JHP rounds out there, and there are the heavier 105gr, 115gr and 120 gr rounds. The issue that keeps coming up is that in some of the pistols, the heavier rounds feed OK; in some of the pistols, they do not. This typically has to do with slight dimensional varitions in the overall length of the cartridge.
One can polish the feed ramp (a good thing) but in the end, one had better find a round that functions reliably. Otherwise, when the BG shows up, all you have is about a 1.7 lb rock!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I second Teakwood. The Barnaul JHP has yet to fail me in any of my Maks, and as inexpensive as it is I plink and carry the same round.

Noah

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got to agree, the SILVER BEARSHIT HP is junk IMO. Gave it a try in my EG Mak that has NEVER hiccuped on me. After 2 mags I was freakin pissed. All it done was jam and stovepipe. Incidentally the 9mm luger SILVER BEARSHIT HP is worse IMO, not only does it jam, stove pipe, but it (case) has been stuck in the chamber of 3 different 9's that I own. Luckily I carry a pretty complete tool/range bag and could get them out. I thought it was just one pistol, but it turned out to be the SILVER BEARSHIT HP ammo. If I had to depend on SILVER BEARSHIT for self defense I would just throw the pistol at my attacker.

The best Mak ammo I have ever found is the green box Russian, I believe it is LVE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After I polished the feed ramp, the 120 Silver Bear feeds like a dream. But I'm still not going to get anymore. I only have what I have as it was sold to me with the Mak when I bought it.

I'm wondering if the 95 grain stuff is any lighter in it's recoil??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Al Lowe said:

Yeah - DON'T USE THAT AMMO IF IT DON'T WORK IN THE PISTOL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Teakwood said:
Al Lowe said:

Yeah - DON'T USE THAT AMMO IF IT DON'T WORK IN THE PISTOL!
But it DOES work. HELLO?? Knock, knock. Haven't read ALL my messages, have you. I polished the feed ramp, NOW THEY WORK.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Al, sorry I missed the bit about the feeding being a non-problem now.
:oops:
"I'm wondering if the 95 grain stuff is any lighter in it's recoil??"

IMHO, the 95 gr is considerably kinder in the recoil department. Frankly, with the various feeding and FTF problems I have encountered over the years with 109 gr and heavier, I stick with the 95 gr FMJ and JHP.

The recoil from the heavier bullets is not so much a problem in the all-steel Makarovs, but in the PA-63 the heavier recoil can lead to cracking in the alloy frame.

Whatever lights your fire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts