Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I get it at lumber/home improvement stores. Ask for skate tape or non-slip/skid tape.

The good stuff is made by 3M. I don’t care for the really coarse stuff. It can actually get slippery. The med grit, about 180 grit, it the “stickiest” I have found.

Or, you can just take it off the floor of C-130’s. That’s what I do.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
79 Posts
Note that is goes by several names and the clerks at the store may not know what skateboard type is. I have heard it called friction tape (which I think is the original name), traction tape, step tape, and of course, skateboard tape.

If you are going to put it on the front strap of your gun, one way to make it look fairly professional (as you can get with tape) is to use a coin to get the top and bottom edges as nice curves. For a 1911, depending on the make, a quarter works well for this, or a nickel.

614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom do you know where I can find the nearest C-130.I live in Keene NH and don`t want to spend the $5.00 :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 38 Super Combat Commander on 2001-06-12 14:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
580 Posts
Home Depot sells the 3M stuff in several "grades"/textures by the foot. If you get blank stares tell them it's the non-skid stuff for bathtubs & step ladders, etc. 3M also makes a textured rubber-like stuff that is less "sharp" and has an appearance somewhat like stippling. It's thicker but nicer in feel and grip than the sandpaper texture of skateboard tape, FWIW.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah man! send me whatever you'd pay
on line: :smile:
I'm gonna run into Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever big chain hardware store I pass first, ask where they keep the 100 foot rolls of STAIR TREAD TAPE, cut off what you need, and head to the mail box, sending it to you First Class, of course!

No offense but, I'll never forget the time a military pistol team bullseye shhoter asked me what catalog I'd ordered my great shooting glasses "blinders" out of.
He was fully expecting to hear some German, Swede, Finnish, or other European maker's name when I told him I'd cut them out of a gallon milk jug myself!!!

I've been using the stair tread tape referenced above for years with no complaints
(It pays for itself with what i get from the neighborhood "sidewalk surfers" who think it only comes outta magazines or off-line, too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to the skateboard shop where my son buys his skateboard stuff. Asked the guy there if I could buy a small piece of it. He gave me a piece about 8"x10" for free. That should last me a while.
As far as online, do a search on skateboard equipment. You'll find several hundred places to pay to much for it :smile:
Home Depot/Lowes sounds like the place to get it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Rubbing alcohol works very good for degreasing surfaces, as it leaves no residue like detergents and solvents. It's also dirt cheap :grin: .

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-12 16:19, Pistolero wrote:
Home Depot sells the 3M stuff in several "grades"/textures by the foot. If you get blank stares tell them it's the non-skid stuff for bathtubs & step ladders, etc. 3M also makes a textured rubber-like stuff that is less "sharp" and has an appearance somewhat like stippling. It's thicker but nicer in feel and grip than the sandpaper texture of skateboard tape, FWIW.
This is what I have been using for a couple years now, it's great...

You can get it in different colors, the Concrete color looks perfect with a Stainless gun...

When it starts getting ratty, or worn, just replace it, it's cheap. Mine has yet to peel, just prep the surface really well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.