Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/semimsg.cgi?read=42793

just saw this posted on Subguns....apparently the slide broke using factory Win ammo at round 36...c-link for the actual details(what little there are)

hope this doesn't happen to mine..anyone know of this happening on any other Springers?

stole this pic from the post link above.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-05-15 20:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow, never saw anything like that before, do you know if springfield is going to replace the slide for the poor guy?

maybe it was just meant to be a compact!!!

russel the cop

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2001-05-15 20:39, RUSSEL213 wrote:
wow, never saw anything like that before, do you know if springfield is going to replace the slide for the poor guy?

maybe it was just meant to be a compact!!!

russel the cop
well the guy that originally posted this says it's his neighbors gun and that Springfield "came through" and his neighbor now has one of thier top of the line pistols :grin:

another opinoin from that same thread was that the recoil spring had been changed and that the slide was "battered" into the frame. also a bad batch of slides was considered.

I've got no idea myself. looks like something I don't want to have happen though for sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It "looks" like it broke off almost exactly where the base of the recoil spring guide rod would contact the dust cover..and it looks like the slide metal may have "crystallized" at that point too.

Would take a really light spring & many hot loads to do that on a not flawed slide IMO.

Anyone know if the Springfield Slides are cast or forged ?

Recoil Buffers sound better & better :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-15 21:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
DAMN !!? That one picture is going to cost Springfield some money! A New Pro model won't begin to cover it!

Let's see if Dave Williams from the custom shop will give us a few comments on his thoughts since he has seen the gun I bet. Dave will be at the NRA show over the weekend so he might not be back to this quickly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-15 21:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2001-05-15 21:33, Dane Burns wrote:
DAMN !!? That one picture is going to cost Springfield some money! A New Pro model won't begin to cover it!

Let's see if Dave Williams from the custom shop will give us a few comments on his thoughts since he has seen the gun I bet. Dave will be at the NRA show over the weekend so he might not be back to this quickly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-15 21:36 ]</font>
I hesitated posting the pic at first but then thought it would be of note. Hope it's just a bad batch of slides or something. I'd ceretainly like to hear from Dave Williams about it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
By the serial #, it looks to be a much older slide...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I always wondered what would happen if I touched off a round without a recoil spring...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...I'm wrong...didn'tsee the NM

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
LOL...

:wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
TOM , I think your the winner on that one.

Saw an older compact couple years ago ,
slide too short-rails too long-spring goes solid
Ejects parts off front of slide-Instead of brass
from port.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts