Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone can help me.I went out shooting today and my slide would not lock back when the last round was fired out of the magazine.I know it can`t be the mags because it happend with all of them.I have never had this problem and I have been shooting this gun for almost 12 years.By the way it is a 38 Super Commander and I have been useing the same ammo for ever.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just take the 22 conversion off, put the 38 Super top back on and it should work just fine! :grin: I couldn't resist as only thing I could think of right now! Sorry, no help from me! Mike
PS, Will look in Kuhnhausen's books if my eye's hold out! Here is what is said under "troubleshooting", locks early .... Nothing for no lock up, cannot find second vol. so check followers but might be damaged slide stop! ????
Good one on the shock buffs John, they are easy to forget! :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-05-30 02:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you done anything to the wepon from the
last time it was runnin reliabily?

Added a shock buff? Changed recoil spring?
Will the wepon lock properly dry at the bench?

·
Registered
46 Posts
.38 Super Combat Commander. John is on the correct line of inquire. If their has not been a addition to the recoil system. Perhaps the gun became fouled and the slide was retarded. New lube? Perhaps gunk in the area of the SS. Perhaps the link was binding of the SS pin? Did the gun go into battery when the SS failed? From other posts I understand that this is your carry gun. Were the mags your carry mags or some range mags also? Could be lint retarding the mag springs. It happened to me. You say the gun is twelve years. I suspect to-you. And that the gun has had exceptional care. I would clean every thing and shoot the gun again. If it fails again a detail strip and inspection is nessesary, to my mind, and a recertification of its carry status. I do 200 rounds trouble free. Just my opinion and I am sorry for the heart ache. If you can't fix it at home maybe a trip to the doctor. Calthrop.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Maintanance...clean and lube,reassemble, check again, age of recoil spring and extractor? Time for a check-up? :wink:

614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,The gun was cleaned right before going to the range.I have not made any modifications to the gun in 2 years.I have about 4000 rounds threw it since the last recoil spring change.If it is the spring,how does this effect the slide from locking back?Thanks for all your help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 38 Super Combat Commander on 2001-05-30 15:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does the empty mag lock it up when cycling the slide manually?

Any sign of the spring's wearing out in teh mags?

What kind of mags?

Any obvious breakage on the slide stop? (sure, if it was obvious, you'd have said so, but I figured I'd ask :smile:

·
Registered
46 Posts
.38 Super Combat Commander. I was just over on the 1911 Form Trouble Shooting area and a guy called ralphtt had a simular problem with his .45 CC. One of the responces suggested that the plunger was damaged some how and it was binding of the SS. Might be worth a look. Good luck. Calthrop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello

I could be missing something it but IMHO it seems it can only be five things wrong since you rule out the Mags. ( although if you rotate the Mags and they have a 12 year service life as the gun does .... )

1: The recoil spring. I know that sounds strange, but it`s only a $4.00 part and I change them every 2000 rounds.

2: The slide stop is worn down enough to not engage the Mag follower.

3: The slide stop cut-out on the frame is worn down. ( bad news if this is it )

4: The slide stop notch on the slide is worn/smoothed down so the latch will not catch.

5: As someone said upthread, the plunger tube/spring is faulty.

Any other ideas out there ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackjack on 2001-05-30 18:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
BTW...Hang in there...I know I went completely to pieces when mine went nuts awhile back...Bad, bad feeling...It'll be OK...:wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
38scc
Do you shoot reloads ?
Do you have noted change in ejection pattern?
Have you changed you hold on the wepon?

Mags are in good condition-tubes-springs-followers.
All mags lock wepon properly when hand cycled.

Slide stop is in good condition-fits frame-lug has
positive contact on follower-face rides plunger pin
smoothly.

No mods to restrict rearward slide travel-
Accessorie guide rod-heavy recoil spring-shock buff.

Slide notch not excessively worn.

Plunger tube is not loose.

If you are right handed and use a weak hand
thumb forward hold ensure you are not touching
the stop.

Try some different ammo.

Best Luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
When the slide does not like back after the last round it is usually a problem where the slide stop is not interfacing with the follower of the magazine properly, this could be caused by a weak magazine spring. You can replace the magazine spring with a good wolff spring or try taking your spring out of the magazine measure it with a ruler and stretch it 3/4 inch then bake it in a toaster oven for 30 min. at 350 degrees and let it cool by itself. Do not use oil or water. When you stretch it pull carefully from both ends.

Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
[email protected]

614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys,I changed the rcoil spring and I no longer have the problem with the slide not locking back after the last round is fired.But I did notice the end of the guide rod has lines running down it towards the muzzle end.

·
Registered
46 Posts
.38Supper Commander. It is good to hear that this problem has a simple solution. I have had scoring or scrapping on a guide rod and just figured it was the tip of the spring twisted in during recoil, could be wromg, stopped using the things anyway. Calthrop.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-06-01 20:06, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
When the slide does not like back after the last round it is usually a problem where the slide stop is not interfacing with the follower of the magazine properly, this could be caused by a weak magazine spring. You can replace the magazine spring with a good wolff spring or try taking your spring out of the magazine measure it with a ruler and stretch it 3/4 inch then bake it in a toaster oven for 30 min. at 350 degrees and let it cool by itself. Do not use oil or water. When you stretch it pull carefully from both ends.

Teddy Jacobson / Pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
[email protected]
Here's the original post from Teddy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.