Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to hear the opinions on slim stocks from Spegel, &c, for the 1911.

I have heard some say they are comfortable even for users without uniquely small hands. And they do help concealability...

What is the medium to medium-small sized hand perspective on them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-06-14 17:39 ]</font>

614 Posts
I have some on my Hi Power and like the fit and the looks of them.I am going to get some for my 1911 when I can find a good buy on some.They are awesome grips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 38 Super Combat Commander on 2001-06-14 18:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you have med-small hands you might want to try Navidrex countoured micarta stocks, available from Brownells. They are standard size at the top and the bottom, so they use the standard grip screws and bushings.
The middle part of the stock is concave, allowing short fingers to get around better. I have fairly small hands and I use these on all 1911's with great success.
Available in black micarta, fully checkered, or in other options.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have fairly large hands and I like the slim stocks. In my view, an autopistol is gripped fore and aft and the stocks are just along for the ride. The thin stocks do enhance concealability a bit.

Slim stocks are available from AFS Slim-Tech, Chip McCormick, and Navidrex (true slim stocks, not just the contoured ones that Tom mentioned...Brownells just added them, look in the "what's new" section of their website). Richard Heinie sells sharply checkered micarta stocks from AFS and, as you noted, Craig Spegel offers his thinner "Hackathorn style" stocks. These stocks all require proprietary bushings and screws.

To get an idea of how your pistol would feel with them, just take off the issue stocks and handle & dry-fire the piece a bit. True, you'll have the standard bushings kind of poking into your hand, but it'll give you an idea of what a slim-stocked pistol would feel like.

One thing about slim stocks. If the pistol is equipped with an extended mag well (like the S&A unit), the thin stocks will not look right as they'll be narrower than the mag well. It's nothing that interferes with the function, but it looks ugly.

Rosco

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rosco Benson on 2001-06-16 13:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
79 Posts
With slim stocks, I can work all the 1911 controls with my strong side hand without a major grip change. For my wife with smaller hands, she can now ride the safety of her 1911. This has improved the control she has with the gun.

Some people really don't like thin stocks because they feel weird. Also, recoil becomes a little more concentrated because the thin stocks don't distribute the recoil as much as thick stocks, so you feel everything through the back strap. I think this tends to bother some people.

The thinness does help in reduceing printing. If you also get smooth-sided thin stocks, then they won't catch on your clothing either. Some stock checkering (thick or thin stocks) will tend to snag clothing and pull the clothing such that it becomes apparent that you have something snagging your coat or vest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.