Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. Do the Ashley Express sights really offer anything usable? I understand about the rifle sights, but on a handgun, I just wonder about their being any quicker. I am not being judgmental nor am I trying to be rude; I just wonder. Do the Ashley's help/hinder/not affect precision shooting?

Thanks in advance.
Best.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gerald- Thank you, that made my day. :cool:

Stephen, regarding the Ashley sights:

FWIW, I prefer Heinie's or a modified Bo-Mar. I'm still young and have good eyes though.

A lot of our customers are specifying Ashleys, and with good reason.

The Ashley's are VERY fast. The Express rear is open and the front dot very visible. The combination is very fast and easy to pick up. The alignment is quick too. The big dot is BIG and easy to see. Most are opting for the standard dot, IMO it is plenty large for all but the most myopic.

Many people will shoot faster and get good hits inside 10-15 yards with the Ashley's. Especially for those with middle agged and later eyes, the Ashley's are a real boon.

I shoot best with the Bo-Mar or Heinie. I have tested myself with a timer and I am just as fast and more accurate with the Heinies. But then I shoot several times a week and have good eyes. :smile:

For someone who shoots less often and has different vision, the Ashley's may be a better choice.

Feel free to email or call me at MD Labs if you have any questions. 520 772 3021

HTH

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-06-13 00:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks pretty dang cool, Steve. Nice work.

I've been curious about the Ashley Big Dots myself, thanks for your explaination. How do they work at, say, 15-20 yards? Do you lose much precision?

And that is one big-ass paddle on the offside ambi safety! :eek:

Chad

·
Registered
103 Posts
Steve and Stephen,
First, Steve, very nice pistols......

I'd like to give my opinion of where the "big dot" might come in handy. I've been thinking about it for my wife's HP.

My wife likes to shoot and she comes to the range with me about once a month. She has taken a couple of tactical pistols classes, but she does not have a serious enough interest to become a good shot. Sure, she can place them center mass out to 10-15 yds without a problem, but beyond that is a problem for her. Also, from 15yds and beyond she REALLY needs to concentrate to make those head shots. For someone that shoots at this level the "big dot" might be a good sight. It would help her pick it up quickly and maybe increase her speed at short distances, but not hinder her accuracy out at long distances, because it is already.:smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The off side safety is not as big as it looks. I'm not as good a photographer as pistolsmith. :wink:

With regards to the Big dot Ashley front, it depends a lot on your vision and skill level. Generally speaking, IMO it's probably best for those who train infrequently and/or have a really hard time seeing the front sight. If you cannot pick up the Big dot, you probably should not be carrying a pistol.

IMO it is rather big out past about 15 yards.
The Ashley's in general and the big dot in particular are most effective at close range.

I agree with JohnnyO's assesment of the big dot. In my experience, he's right on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On 2001-06-14 01:51, Steve Morrison wrote:
A few new photos, a little better quality this time:
I would say alot better quality photo's!! So much so, that the grips look like something all together different. :grin: Beautiful HP and the those grips are perfect. Now let me go back and read the rest of the post about the safety.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was able to see this gun in action at a Louis Awerbuck handgun course in in Central CA. Looks really nice, I mean REALLY NICE. I now think I am very interested in putting a beavertail on one of my brownings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.