Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years I´ve read most world´s antiterrorist units have adopted as their handguns Glocks, SIGs, Browning HP and I wonder why not H&K USPs or Walther P-99.
Do you know any Unit use any of them? Perhaps any Police Dept. in the USA? If not, Which would be the reasons since your opinion?.
Years ago, our Police GEO used H&K P9S, but they have changed to SIG P-226, and GSG9 used model P7, but I don´t know if they are using this weapon yet.
Could anyone tell something about these topics?

·
Registered
105 Posts
special police handgun choices

Dont know much about "special" units handguns but my state most are all glock 22.You see sigs and berettas with some of the older or more rural agencies.I have not owned a hk yet but plan to soon.I would carry a sig or glock if I had to choose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
clubkey said:
silver said:
The HiPower is flat out faster than most of the guns you have mentioned.
What in the world does that mean? :-?

Ergonomics... In the world of counter offencive shooting there are three main factors in equal order:power, Speed, and Accuracy (DVC). Some guns just handle better than others. The Single action trigger also helps speed. The better ergonomics promotes both speed and accuracy at the same time.

Many years ago when I was out at Uncle Ray's in Columbia Mo. I used my Hipower with an AT1 holster to great succes until the sear cut out. I was faster than about everybody but the staff. The other students were using Glocks, Sigs, Smiths and Berettas. When I had to go to a back up Star # 30 my times were cut even when I stayed on single action.

Your goal is to get the most out of your first shot. "You can't miss fast enough" Ray Chapman. Most double action triggers SUCK! The reach is too long, combined with the long heavy pull and often a grip that is less than perfect you "drop" the most important shot. There is a reason the HiPower and the 1911 have held on so long, I hope you understand better now.

In the real world some "pencil pusher" looks at cost associated with risk managment. That same person is told that they need double action triggers to reduce acidental shootings. WTF if you are good enough to be on the elite team then your training should have over come that issue. To some point you can train around the problem to some degree, but fast handleing is still faster...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your goal is to get the most out of your first shot. "You can't miss fast enough" Ray Chapman. Most double action triggers SUCK! The reach is too long, combined with the long heavy pull and often a grip that is less than perfect you "drop" the most important shot. There is a reason the HiPower and the 1911 have held on so long, I hope you understand better now.
Believe it or not, most cops won't have to draw and fire in a split-second confrontation throughout their career. Showdowns, ala "Gunsmoke" are not that common. They'll probably have to struggle more often to keep a gun in the holster than to get it out quickly. That's why they're issued retention holsters and not given single-action weapons.

I think you have confused gun competition with the real world. At this year's IDPA Championship, the fastest/lowest times were shot by a competitor shooting a Glock.

(There were 90+ Glocks in the competition, I think, by far the most common gun. There were 44 Glock 34s! These are pretty serious competitors using guns that arguably could be carried for self defense. There weren't many BHPs, if I remember correctly. Only three SIGs. What does that say about SPEED and the importance of first shots?)

Faster? Only if you've praticed a lot. Most cops (and most people) don't practice that much. (I personally know of exceptions -- a couple of which are VERY proficient.) For most cops, however, a DAO gun is probably faster and better. Or an almost-DAO only, like a Glock. I have a DAO Sphinx and its faster; I just haven't shot it enough, yet.

And I would argue that the Glock's trigger is BETTER, relatively speaking, than an unmodified BHP, given the mag safety which makes for a ugly trigger.

I'd take a tuned BHP any day, but thats not an option for most cops. Police departments are NOT going to modify triggers or remove mag safeties. (I suspect it will be a cold day in hell before you see a police department in the US issue BHPs or other similar single action guns to anyone but a special weapons team -- and probably not then; they'll go for something in a larger calibre or larger capacity.)

Then, too, the BHP, requires releasing the safety first... and DAO and Glocks don't. If you don't practice a lot, that safety may be your undoing.

I'll agree that Glocks aren't as ergonomic as a BHP, but I consistently shoot one (a Glock 34) just a hair faster (with the same accuracy) than I do most other guns, even though I like the other guns better.

What's that old saying? Oh, yeah: "nothing succeeds like success."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.