Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend picked up a box of Speer Gold Dot JHP at a store that was selling them for about half price. There was a sticker on the box stating "reclassified - NOT for law enforcement". Anybody know what that is all about?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Spackler 4013
I have heard on other threads that this ammo is seconds. That is they did not pass inspection. I would use this ammo for practice but would not carry for protection.
If anyone else has further info please respond.

Long live the 1911
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
420 Posts
I contacted Speer, and it is indeed ammo that has failed to pass quality control specs for whatever reason. Do not carry this ammo.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A lot of this stuff showing up on the shelves, but you won't know it cuzz
it's not all marked on the individual boxes (sometimes just the outside of
the case). If it's new GD ammo in 50 round boxes and cheap, most likely it's the reclassified stuff. Big difference from "recycled" LE ammo that did meet specs and is back on the market.

"Reclassified" ammo from Speer/Blount. "The ammunition that has been reclassified somehow failed to meet a contract stipulation. It is safe to shoot. Most is likely suitable for defensive use, but it would depend on the exact problem. A large quantity fell out for poor nickel plating on the cases. This nickel plating would not compromise the use of the ammunition, but flaking could present functional problems. Inspection of the ammunition you have should be able to determine if there is any worry in that regard. Other lots were reclassified for other reasons. In general I feel it is best to use it for practice and to prove functioning in the gun and stay with ammunition that was not reclassified for actual carry." - Guy Neill, Blount
Sporting Equipment Group

This does not make me feel warm and fuzzy about Speer, or the folks who sell it without mentioning it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MichaelOrick on 2001-08-29 10:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
420 Posts
No free lunch. If it is priced too good to be true, steer clear.

If you want a very effective load in .40 or .45 at a great price, go with the Winchester USA JHP loads.

G

·
I don't believe that Speer is knowingly selling this stuff as unmarked.

Quite often they will sell off the seconds to distributors who are supposed to label the stuff or sell it with a disclaimer.

I have had several dealings with the Speer LE sales division in the past and they are very serious and very much dedicated to providing a quality product.

The time they spend in the onsite/agency demos alone is very impressive and they do have some of the highest quality controls.

·
Registered
420 Posts
David, I have personally seen dealers at gun shows peel off the "reclassified" sticker.
As far as I know, Speer does not sell 50rnd boxes to civilians, therefore I would be cautious about all of it. If it's in a 20rnd box, it should be a-okay, unless some scum-sucking maggot decided to put reclassified stuff in 20rnd boxes and sell it on a gun store shelf, or at a show.

G

·
I've gotta say that that really stinks!

Over the past few months I have recieved numerous email from unsuspecting guys who believed they had purchased Winchester Talon Ranger ammo and in reality had been victimized by unscrupulous dealers.

It is a shame and I hope that we can shed some light on the issue.

Thanks Clay for the insight.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Indeed, this type of business practice sucks.
This is why I never buy ammo from gun shows. Maybe the guy you bought it from hasn't done anything to it, but what about the two or three dealers before that? Too many hands...

If you are looking for Speer Gold Dot ammo, try http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com I've been buying stuff from them for the last 8 years, with excellent results. They do not sell reclassified ammo.

The fewer people between you and the factory, the better :smile: .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys. I may very well have some of the reclassified stuff as well and didn't even know it! I normally use 165gr. GDHP. I found some in fifty round boxes last time. I don't know if these are reclassified or not, but I'll shoot it up and buy some new stuff just to be safe.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is reclassified ammo in 20 round boxes too. Have seen it in 357SIG.

To be fair, some of the dealers thought "reclassified" just meant "recycled" from LE and/or were LE contract overuns that were OK. Or didn't even notice the markings on just the outside of the case.

To Speer's credit, they are marking the individual boxes now, with stickers or overprints that can't be taken off.

Still doesn't explain why I get the old brass cased ammo with the old style GD bullet in new boxes, or the new stuff in old boxes!?

Yep, that "cheap" Win USA 180/1015 (14.4/.66) and PMC 165/1040 (13/.68) is lookin' mighty good... :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MichaelOrick on 2001-08-30 16:40 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.