Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a 24 pound spring from Wilson Combat in my SA Ultra Compact V10. It made a huge difference in reliability and felt recoil. Some time ago I ordered a 20 pound spring for my "vintage" W. German Sig 220 but decided not to use it because it felt so stiff compared to the old one. Now I am thinking maybe I should try it after all. The other reason I did not try it is I had contacted Sig and they sent me a brand new spring free of charge, based on my serial number. It feels exactly the same to me as the old one.

I never have had a single problem with feed or function but I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put the heavier spring in it in order to reduce felt recoil and perhaps extend the life of the alloy lower receiver. I also have discovered in my research that the 20 pound spring has become the standard for the newer 220s.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Springs

Its hard to argue with what the factory recommends. If the they sent you a new spring based on information you provided them, and it works, probably a sound choice.

I tend to spring my pistols with the heaviest spring that will allow 100% reliable operation. I don't reload, so specialty loads aren't a factor. I use factory loaded stuff, mostly WWB for practice. As I say, I will put in the heaviest recoil spring that functions, normally a Wolff-brand spring.

For SIG's however, I use the factory recoil springs. They tend to be plenty heavy, and I really like the braided construction. Also, IIRC, based on the way the SIG functions, the spring is actually the physical component that stops the slide's rearward travel (as opposed to a frame abutment), so the heavier duty braided spring is my preferred unit.

Good luck,
BOSS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts