Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a 1911 9mm for use in IDPA competition. What is your opinion on a 1911 chambered in 9mm? Reliable, Accurate...?
Thanks....Chad

·
Registered
876 Posts
My Colt 1991A1 9mmP does just fine. It feeds ball or ogival JHP (I load mostly bulk Remington 115 gr.) out of 9mm or .38 Super magazines (Metalform 9-shot .38 with round follower.) and is plenty accurate for IDPA (Or anything else but maybe NRA centerfire.)
I have read that the GM slide is too heavy for 9mm and that the action is sluggish. I can't tell any difference from the light loaded .38 Supers a lot of ESP-ers use.
Certainly 9mm ammo and brass are cheaper and more readily available. And there are more 1911 parts, accessories and gunsmiths than, say, BHP. But you have to find good ones. And a 1911 is liklier to need help than, say, a Glock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have shot 500+ rounds with my new 9mm Loaded Sprinfield ando so far everything is smooth (except for the grips and front and rear serrations on the slide. Sweet trigger out of the box and very accurate. I like it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 9mm SA that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Several things I have changed/improved. The first thing was to replace the funky titanium FP and the stock hammer spring housing. The barrel link was too short so that got replaced also. Fitted a match bushing and did the usual trigger job. I don't like the hammer, but the sear was OK. I was able to get a nice crisp 2 1/2 lb. trigger pull. 25 yd. groups were a little less than 2" so far - still working on loads. It is a fun gun to shoot. Won our Wed. night IDPA match with it. The bottom line is if Kimber made a 9mm it would be in my safe instead of the SA. This SA is a much better 9mm than the crappy one I bought from SA two years ago. Is it as good as a Kimber - not even close, but much improved.

G

·
Springfield 9mm 1911 + chamber reamer equals 9x23- result very good!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-29 21:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have one that might be 1 year old. Only problem I've had is that the chambe is so damn tight that I have to run every round through a case guage. It also seems to shoot a bit low. A file applied to the front sight should fix that. Now if I could find magazines at a reasonable price, I'd retire my Beretta Vertec and shoot the SA full time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.