Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield 1911 Ultra compact (3.5” barrel) with a full size / length grip.

The thing groups nicely but shoots 4” low at 10 feet. 12” low at 10 yards. It feeds and functions perfectly in every other respect. I can’t take it back as it was a gift and I can’t use it like it is.

I am no gunsmith but my best guess is that some how the slide is moving too far forward forcing a downward angle with the barrel. Is this possible? If so how would one check to confirm and then fix it? What other things could be causing this … i.e. what would you look for in order and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm not assuming you are an idiot or anything, but it could be operator-induced. The fact that you get good groups, just in the wrong place, makes that unlikely but not impossible.

But since you are getting good groups, just in the wrong place, it is more likely improperly set sights. Sounds like your front sight is too high or back sight is too low, causing you to nose the gun down for a proper sight picture & put rounds too low. It is possible that it's the mechanics of the gun but kinda doubtful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-07-02 14:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CastleBravo,
That is the first thing I usually hear form those who do not know me when I bring this up. I may be an idiot but I shoot as well or better then most. :grin: I have other 1911’s and many other handguns. I can hold all of those in the Black. If I jerk a shot or flinch I know it immediately. Further everyone who shoots this gun has the same results. The point of impact is too far out of whack to be a sight problem. The barrel even looks as if it is pointing down. It is not parallel to the slide when in battery. There is definitely something screwed up with this gun.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The barrel in an in-battery 1911 sits at a slight down angle...exactly how much varies from gun to gun. This down angle is typically greater in shorter-slided guns...Commanders and Officers ACP-sized pistols. The front and rear sight heights take this into account and, ideally, permit the piece to hit point-of-aim/point-of-impact at a reasonable range.

As you know, the pistol begins to recoil while the bullet is still in the bore. Your V-10 is ported and the gases escaping from the ports reduce the muzzle-rise of the pistol. Consequently, the axis of the bore does not rise as high as an unported pistol and the impact on the target is lower. Since the sights on your pistol are the same as the standard, unported model, it is hardly suprising that the hits are low in relation to the aiming point.

You need a higher rear sight or a lower front sight. With typical 1911 sights, it is often difficult to shorten the front sight sufficiently and not start having the top of the slide intrude into one's sight picture.

Gunsmiths who do a lot of comped, ported, or hybrid-comped pistols have learned to mount the rear sights a bit higher than normal on these blasters. Novak's offers a higher version of their rear sight to help correct for this and (I believe) a higher Bomar BMCS-2 can be substituted for the lower BMCS that is typically low-mounted on 1911 slides. I think your Springfield probably has a GI-dovetail-mounted fixed sight. I'm not sure if a higher sight of this configuration is available or not. Perhaps someone else can address this?

If all else fails, you could mount a Tasco Optima red-dot sight on it. These itty-bitty sights are the first red-dot that MAY by practical for a carry gun. Jack Weigand and George Smith/EGW make a wide range of mounts for this little gizmo.

Rosco

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rosco Benson on 2001-07-02 14:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
515 Posts
Scott,
I was hoping one of gunsmiths would respond to your question, but here goes. I've seen a great many 1911's over the years on which the rear of the slide and the rear of the frame didn't quite line up. The thing that limits the forward travel of the slide is the barrel's lower lugs (or "feet") contacting the shaft of the slide stop. The farther forward this contact ism the more down-angle is on the barrel (due to the swinging link). It could be that in your particular pistol, the dimensions are such that to get proper engagement of the barrel's upper/locking lugs to the grooves in the slide, that the barrel must be fitted so as to swing a little higher (which means farther forward, consequently the slide sits a little farther forward on the frame). The barrel's locking lugs and feet could be welded-up, recut, and the barrel re-fitted to address this or an aftermarket barrel, which is oversize in these areas, could be fitted (good luck trying to find an aftermarket "match" Springfield Compact V-10 barrel...I doubt any exist).

If it were mine, I would send it in to Springfield's service department and see if they could square it away.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You know, this front looks like it "might" be tall enough to be reduced sufficiently to bring your POA up a bit. Have you tried that at all? Just a thought...Damn I hate sending mine "anywhere", I'd try it just to save the "lonliness" :wink:

...Roscoe and CastleB are right on and I can't see anything else to add...good luck...Let us know how you "fix" it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.