Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a commander size 1911 .40 as a carry gun. I narrowed my choices to Kimber, Colt, or Springfield. This months Guntests magazine had a chart showing every compact .45 they reviewed in the last four years. Every Springfield had a don't buy rating for reliability problems. Another post mentioned his NIB Springfield had a bad extractor and a Nonglowing wobbly front nightsight. Should I scratch Springfield from my list as my life may depend on this gun going bang bang bang. Another problem is finding one in anything but .45acp. My ammo choice is mainly convienance. As I own a .40 HP and pc .40 carbine

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...sounds like you've already made up your mind...I wouldn't trust my life to ANYTHING out of the box...:wink:

Good Luck...

...They're all workable...just need to be run for a while...Maybe a reliability job performed by a smith that you can trust would be best for you with whichever of the three "feels" best to YOU?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good luck finding a Kimber in 40, they're not easy to find, and in the "Pro" or "Compact" variety, probably even harder. Of course, a Colt 40 is also a rare bird.

Guess that leaves Springfield, and I can't say I have seen many of those either, but I know that all of them profess to making them...

I'd be inclined to go with a 45, simply because they're easy to find. I currently own 2 Commander's, and Alloy, and Steel, but I really have a desire to find an older (Pre S70) 38 Super (Duper), preferably a LWT, Commander.

Personally, I still worry about the 40 in the 1911, being a tad bit on the short side for the action. Some feel this is not an issue, others feel it's a big issue... I am concerned enough about it that I'd not be inclined to use the 40 for a Carry Gun, just a Game gun, YMMV.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The feed problems reported with the 40 do exist with factory ammo. But it can be solved by seating the bullets out then adjusting the powder charge to get the velocity you want. I absolutly fell in love with the feel of a Colt commander bone stock model. I haven't handled a commander of the other brands just the full size kimber and Springfield. Was it my imagination or type of grips but the frame grip felt thinner on the Colt. The parordanance and the Kimber polymer double stacks are definetly out. I also much prefer the small non extended non beavertail grip safety but assume that because everyone is adding large beavertails someone will sell me their original so it's not an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.