Pistol Smith Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stainless appeals to me only because of the reduced risk of rust, and the fact that refinishing is not needed as you work on them.........however I will only every buy Carbon Steel pistols, so it probably wont mean much to me.

For that matter I love a well done blued gun, and I love a well done hard chromed one two, I'd even say that athetically, both appeal to me equally. Functionally though because hard chrome is durable, I am a little more attracted to hard chrome......breaks my heart when I see the finish starting to scuff :(

But IMO both finihes can be done badly, and both can be done well.

The only one I was really opposed to was "two tone" (black slide, on stainless/chrome frame), even though functionally it represents the best compromise. But I am learning that can be done well too, and I am thinking of going down that avenue now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to agree with you until I bought a stainless steel SA loaded. It needs some going over and some Caspian parts but I love it. Everything about it feels good in my hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think that stainless 1911's are ugly but they do look kind of featureless, but the beauty lies in the easy care of the gun, however I just joined this forum because I'm looking into getting my first 1911 and the gun I was thinking about getting is a Springfield Loaded Black Stainless PX9154, I think the black accents make it one of the best looking guns out there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
perfect timing!!! I'm thinking of getting the same thing to ship to Dane so he can whack at it with his "dremel". Does anyone know if this finish will survive a melt like pure stainless??

·
Registered
216 Posts
I happen to prefer the looks of a well executed all Stainless 1911.
No mirror polish jobs for me.
Colt's older blasted rounds and lightly brushed (carded?) finish is a classy finish in my book.

The satin finish on my SS Kimber Compact is really nice.
The coarser almost blasted finish on my SS Kimber classic custom is approaching unattractive but is not ugly.

I have considered haveing it refinished in Black T though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had stainless, NP-3 and Hard Chrome; and I like hard chrome because Colts Stainless seems soft to me.

Robar used to be able to black out stainless. I'd think about Roguard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not a big fan of stainless, but I wouldn't go as far as saying they're ugly. I've seen multiple stainless guns I disliked, and some I absolutely loved. In fact, the coolest commander I've ever seen, was a Kimber Pro with a black frame, and the rest was stainless.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally love guns period, stainless, blued, pink, purple, it's all a gun to me. I will admit I would probably change any pink or purple guns finish pretty quick though.

As far as the stainless or blued debate, I think all guns have the potential to look absolutely beautiful in either, especially the 1911, no matter who makes it. For tactical uses I prefer a matte black finish. My off duty carry piece on the other hand is a SA loaded stainless Champion. The stainless lends itslef well to carry because it resists corrosion from body salts, I have had a few "blued" or parked guns corrode from carrying.

I think my all time favorite finish on a 1911 has to be the case hardened look in the Wilson catalog, very sharp. I am nto sure what you really call the finish, but it looks good by any name.

I also like the look of an AR with a nice polished stainless barrel.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Some stainless can be "blued." It takes different salts at a different temperature but it can be done. I think Dave Sams does stainless bluing but I am not positive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very nice........now why do you guys keep taunting me with these beautiful pistols? My keyboard isn't drool resistant and my bank account is a bit run down at the moment.........couldn't you hold those pics for a few months while I recover???? :):):):)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or, If we all fell in love with the same woman it would be a heck of a fistfight.
I, actually prefer stainless due to the material. Being one which thinks the end results, durability, is worth more than the percieved beauty of other finishes.
Blessings

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK. Has everyone seen the recently released limited production Colt 70 series in stainless? Pretty nice finish. Only Ed Brown has one better.

Has anyone looked at Tripps web site to see a two-tone, yes two-tone, hard chrome staineless with brushed stainless flats. That's where I'm going once I break-in my Colt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK, I know this thread's been around a long time. Just thought I'd show that blued and SS can live together...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 3" Kimber stainless Ultra Carry II isn't ugly; as a matter of
fact, its downright pretty. And OH~! did I mention reliable? Yes, that
is right- even with all types of JHP ammunition~!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I won't buy an 1911 that has those goofy front slide serrations. I own over 30 different 1911 variants and NONE of them has them. The stainless steel 1911s serve a real purpose for those of us who carry guns for a living. I ruined a Sig P-220 after the slide rusted. This happened after I worked a bad multi vehicle wreck in the rain one night and I left the gun in the trunk of my patrol car over in a wet holster over the three day weekend that I was off duty. Since then I've only carried stainelss 1911s or Glocks and had no further problems with my duty weapons rusting.

7th

·
Registered
231 Posts
10mm said:
Some stainless can be "blued." It takes different salts at a different temperature but it can be done. I think Dave Sams does stainless bluing but I am not positive.
I was going to mention this too. There are special bluing salts that will blue/blacken stainless steel. Dave Sams is one gunsmith doing it. I talked with my local gunsmith that also said it was possible, but he not set up with the salts to do it. If you do a search for "The RazorBlack 10mm" on Pistolsmith, you find a very good example (w/pics) of what is possible regarding blackening/bluing stainless.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts